Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
This page is no longer in use. To suggest an idea, please visit Browse and Suggest.

Create tasks through API / Scripts

jjames
Partner - Contributor III

Create tasks through API / Scripts

There is much interest from our customers to be able to create Replicate tasks using scripts and move out of the GUI.

The biggest pain point customers have reported is the manual effort in creating the tasks and selecting tables needed, using the UI.

One of our customers is dealing with about 900+ tables and 140+ tasks and they are very interested in such a feature.

A possible solution which would work is explained below.

1. A configuration file is created in a specified format. This file has the information needed to create a task i.e, task name, table name, endpoint names

2. Use a script / API  to create the tasks in replicate using the above configuration file as input.

It would be a great feature for supporting our customers in automation and faster implementation. Requesting your review.

14 Comments
dtylerlivingston
Contributor II
Contributor II

I think this is a great idea.  We have 80 tasks replicating about 4000 tables and adding more every month.  As we grow we need as much automation as possible.  Perhaps we can define specific design patterns and use this to ensure consistency as opposed to manually creating via UI.

Ola_Mayer
Employee
Employee

James,

Thank you for your feedback. This feature is already on our roadmap.

Can you please share with us (offline) the name of your customer?

Thank you ,

Ola Mayer

Status changed to: Open - On Roadmap
jjames

That is great news. Thanks Ola. I will DM the customer name.

Thanks,

Jijo James

mic_lau

Hi!
This can fits our use-case too, we will manage hundreds of tables too.
By now we are planning to use the import function, importing a well-crafted JSON describer of the tables to be replicated, but something more API-oriented would be great.

parviz_asoodehfard
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi, 

May I ask when we can expect this feature?

BradA
Contributor III
Contributor III

We are also interested in new APIs to create and modify tasks and endpoints.  Task creation/editing APIs will enable software/data engineers to use their native development tools to create more integrated data pipelines (including Replicate) with fewer design-time tools.   In turn they will be able to build solutions more quickly and consistently when programmatic interfaces are fully available.   As previously suggested, this becomes particularly evident when building for a large number of tasks and/or tasks having a large number of tables.

AndreasFenske
Contributor III
Contributor III

We would also be interested in such a feature. Currently we have 300+ tables, but we still would like to add them by a script instead of using the GUI. And the amount of tables will also grow for us later.

Since this request was created in 2020, is there any update on it?

dtylerlivingston
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have not heard any update.  We are now up to 1,200 tasks and replicating thousands of tables across over 40 servers (20 prod).  I believe this feature would help our CI/CD process.

Nulee_Massaro
Employee
Employee

Just a quick update - this has been delayed but we are picking this up in our planning again. We will update you ASAP. 

KellyIBT
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Yes,  Looking forward to an update on this please.