Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Email on failed load

markp201
Creator III
Creator III

Email on failed load

Every morning and throughout the day we have to MANUALLY check the tasks to see if anything failed.

yes, we have an extension (seems buggy from reviews) but this needs to be a STANDARD feature.

Geesh, how hard is this ?  Add a setting  (engine?) - done.

Qlikview has been doing  this for YEARS.

26 Comments
imsushantjain
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

@John_Teichman It is disappointing to see that such a basic functionality is not out of box, please prioritize this. 

t_donnet
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I am suprised that this feature is still in developpement from ‎2019-12-18....

@John_Teichman Any news?

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

I totally agree it would be good to have this as a native feature.

Lacking that I created an open source (free!) tool called Butler.

It offers various useful add-on features (a task scheduler, key-value store useful for passing parameters between reload tasks, sending Slack messages, user defined webhooks, MQTT in/out etc).
And monitoring for failed reload tasks. 

It uses the log appenders already mentioned earlier in this thread to detect failed reloads, but Butler also gets metadata about the app and the (failed) script log to give as complete picture as possible to the person receiving the failed-reload-alert.

Output channels for failed-reload-alerts are

• Email
  • Teams
  • Slack
  • InfluxDB (from where Grafana can be used to monitor things)
  • New Relic (provides an awesome birds-eye view on a Sense environment, including logs from failed reloads. You can also forward alerts from New Relic to Jira, which is useful if you're already using Jira. 
  • Webhooks
  • MQTT
  • Signl4

You can monitor all reload tasks or just some (control which using a custom property). Failed reloads are picked up and forwarded to enabled destination channels within a few seconds.

Butler itself runs as a service on Windows, on Linux or macOS. And as a Docker container.

An alert email can for example look like this:

mountaindude_0-1681377393317.png

All in all it's a pretty nice tool that has by now proven itself at quite a few companies during many years.

Docs available at https://butler.ptarmiganlabs.com/
Questions, discussions, downloads, bug reports: https://github.com/ptarmiganlabs/butler

Meghann_MacDonald

This feature is available in Qlik Cloud but not yet for enterprise / client-managed. 

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived