Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Same Session Count in Operation and Session Monitor

Chris_Rice
Support
Support

Same Session Count in Operation and Session Monitor

Due to the current designs of the Operation and Session Monitor, it's possible to have differing session counts for users. These should logically be the same.

See QB-1734

Tags (2)
9 Comments
Meghann_MacDonald

Hi @Chris_Rice ,

Can you clarify what your idea is? What product are you talking about? What do you mean by Session Monitor / Session count?

The ideation blog is for Qlik product ideas - if this is an idea for support, please submit it with them. 

Meghann

Chris_Rice
Support
Support

Hey Meghann,

The Sessions and Operations Monitors are two documents that are shipped with Qlik Sense. They seek to show information about the running of the system so the administrator can more efficiently execute on his job. Both of these monitors will count the number of sessions against the system by end users. The issue is that they count these sessions differently. So, if I open the Operations Monitor I can see 33 sessions for a time period, but the Sessions Monitor will show 35 sessions for the same time period. 

Since these are both coded by Qlik and offered as part of the product, the ask is to normalize the algorithms between the two monitors. This was raised as a bug in QB-1734, which came back "working as designed". Therefore, I've submitted this Ideation post: to change the design.

Thanks!

Meghann_MacDonald

Got it, thank you for clarifying! Sorry for the delay. 

Meghann

Rakesh_HB
Support
Support

Hi @Meghann_MacDonald ,

Please update if there is anything as I still see the difference in between.

And one of the Customer wants to know which metric should be preferred to use when analyzing the session counts?

The Session Monitor counts sessions using this logic:
sum([Session Count] where session count is defined as IF(proxy_session_id=0,0,1) AS [Session Count]

The license monitor counts sessions using this logic:
count(proxy_session_id_app_id) where proxy_session_id_app_id is defined as proxy_session_id&object_id as proxy_session_id_app_id

Since Sessions Monitor registers short sessions (less than 40 seconds) as per

and

License monitor count can appear as slightly higher than other monitoring apps due to their respective design choices as per https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/May2021/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_DeployA... 
Meghann_MacDonald

Hi @Rakesh_HB , after my initial review to check for adherence to guidelines and correct labels and tags, the ideas are put in the queue for the product managers to review. I will check with them to update the status on this idea.

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
extbhoslpr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Team,

Is there any fix or workaround provided? 

We have noticed similar difference in Session counts provided by Session monitoring dashboard  and Operation monitor. The difference for for session less than 40 seconds can be understood, but we have session which lasted for 30 mins still entry not captured in operations monitor. 

Thanks

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived