Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Selection Projection for the Associative Engine as Engine feature

ChristofSchwarz
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Selection Projection for the Associative Engine as Engine feature

As powerful as the associtative engine is, there is a down-side to "you can select any data-point you want" ... as soon as a developer uses set analysis (which is in almost every app i saw) the deveoper has to guess which field selections to overwrite or to unselect, meaning you are creating code on specific field names. Now, what the engine would benefit from, are "selection-projections", that means, you can define a pair of fields in the meaning of "If one selects on field X, make the selection on field Y instead" (that only makes sense, if Y has a lower of at least the same granularity as X - perfect if Y is the key field of the data table). So there is an abstraction ("projection") layer between what the user selects and what the engine sees as an selection.

Example: in a detail table many columns for a customer are shown: CustomerID, CustomerName, Address, ZIP, Town, Country ... In another object you want to show other customers who bought the same product. in that other hypercube, the measure would have a set modifier like {<CustomerName={*}-P(CustomerName)>} ... but if the user selected on any other field like CustomerID or customer address, the modifier doesn't work .... hence, I would like to "project" the selection on CustomerName the way the engine sees it to the CustomerID field, no matter if the user clicked on the customer address, id, country or name ... then I would sustain the behaviour I want with one set modifier {<CustomerID={*}-P(CustomerID)>} 

And at the same time in the Qlik Sense "Current Selection" bar of the client, if there is a unique mapping of a data field to a master dimension, show the master dimension label, not the field name. 

Tags (2)
4 Comments
andykrst
Contributor III
Contributor III

i agree on Using "Field Label" instead of "Field Name" on current selections bar. 

maybe with referring to the label on master dimensions , or dimensions label on object. we need to achieve this.  

i think its not appropriate to show technical field name for user to look.

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived