Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS

Sheet thumbnail

Henri_Rufin
Luminary
Luminary

Sheet thumbnail

Before publishing an app, I always make sure each sheet has a thumbnail that looks like the corresponding sheet. It would be great if we had a feature that would help us capture right away the screen into the thumbnail without having to use external tools to do so.

31 Comments
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@gramqlik I've been thinking about that too. 

Not sure right now. Everything is possible of course, but I don't see a reasonably easy way to achieve that right now. Will keep it in mind though.

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Before I forget:

Below is status as of last night, with respect to what the tool looks like when used.

Thumbnails are created and uploaded to a content library. The content library has to exist.
The missing piece is to also assign the thumbnails to respective sheet. Very doable.

mountaindude_0-1624532514405.png

There are a fair number of command line parameters, most have sane (?) default values though:

mountaindude_1-1624532675964.png

rafael-attux
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

+1.000

I don't think Qlik realizes how useful this is for the visual quality of applications. It's a huge waste of time to do this manually in large environments with lots of applications

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Well, that was fun 🙂

The next member of the Butler family of open source tools will be "Butler sheet icons". 

The latest beta version of the tool now also updates each sheet with a thumbnail image created from a screenshot taken of the sheet in question. So it's a pretty automated process once you have the certificates needed for the API authentication.

Anyway, some docs needed before this is useful beyond my own computer. This might take a week or two, but I'll post here once it's ready. 

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Btw, it will be pretty easy to use Qlik CLI + some basic Powershell + Butler Sheet Icons to create sheet thumbnails for all sheets in all apps in a Qlik Sense environment. Should be a nice time saver compared to doing the same thing manually.

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

A first public beta version of "Butler Sheet Icons" is now available at https://github.com/ptarmiganlabs/butler-sheet-icons

The name comes from the fact that the tool is a member of the larger Butler family of open source tools for Qlik Sense. Feel free to check out the other members too.

Questions? Please ask in the GitHub repository's discussion area.

Enjoy!

Göran Sander
Sense Sensei @ Ptarmigan Labs 

sten_lomme
Contributor III
Contributor III

I can't believe this is not a standard feature. Tableau has been doing this for years.2022-12-02_10-15-32.png

RoryMcHugh-Catalyst
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

This would be really useful to have, should be a standard/basic feature.

AlexPolorotov
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

We have delivered a handy feature in Gitoqlok.  
Just-in-browser thumbnail editor.
A one-click Thumbnails EDITOR that is faster than Photoshop/Figma (thanks, Mark Miedema, for the slogan) for creating meaningful sheet thumbnails.

Everyone can use it for free

image_2022-12-02_19-45-00.png

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.