Deployment Framework

Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Who Me Too'd this topic

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Video 8 - Using the Calendar Generation sub-function

In this video I will focus on a sub-function included with QDF that will generate what is known as a Master Calendar. The Master Calendar is used to add time context to your data. When analyzing any data, time is an important factor. Users will always be interested in viewing the data by time periods as well as performing comparative analysis between time periods.

In a data warehouse, a time dimension table is normally present. It is joined to the fact table on some date key and allows for your metrics and dimensions to then have date and time context. In some situations, the time dimension is not present but a date field is present in the fact table. If this is the case - you will be missing key information and receive inaccurate results when analyzing data over time, especially if there isn’t any data for a specific time period.

In such scenarios, it is a best practice to create a Master calendar by using the date field in the fact table and joining it with a master date table that contains all of the combinations and formats of the time periods needed.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Who Me Too'd this topic