Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaDrummond
Contributor III
Contributor III

Assign values in one table based on another table

I have 2 tables. One table contains Invoices that need to be assigned to a user based on data in another table.

Example Data:

Table A - Invoices

InvoiceId = 123456, Customer = A

InvoiceId = 456789, Customer = B

InvoiceId = 678910, Customer = A

Table B - Users

User ID = 1234, Customer =A, MaxRows = 30

UserID = 23456, Customer = B, MaxRows = 5

I need to assign each Invoice record to a user for that Customer, but limit the # of Invoices that get assigned based on the MaxRows value for each user. 

Any ideas? I have about 1,900 records per day so the dataset isn't very large.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenjaminT
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

Interesting problem! My approach to this would be to assign a counter ID for each Invoice based on the Customer and row number. So the very first invoice for Customer A would be 'A1', and so on. You could do this with a combination of Peek() and RangeSum() functions as explained in this blog:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Counters-in-the-Load/ba-p/1464117

I would then by expand out the Users tables, so that there are 30 rows for User ID =1234, Customer =A. and 5 rows for User ID =23456, Customer =B, and perform the same counters, A1, A2, A3 etc up to A<MaxRows>. You can user the IterNo() function to do this expansion.

Once this is done the two tables will associated with each other on the counter ID field. (or you could join them if you wanted to) 

See attached qvf file, I hope this help you to find a solution even if this isn't exactly it.

Thanks

Ben

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BenjaminT
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

Interesting problem! My approach to this would be to assign a counter ID for each Invoice based on the Customer and row number. So the very first invoice for Customer A would be 'A1', and so on. You could do this with a combination of Peek() and RangeSum() functions as explained in this blog:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Counters-in-the-Load/ba-p/1464117

I would then by expand out the Users tables, so that there are 30 rows for User ID =1234, Customer =A. and 5 rows for User ID =23456, Customer =B, and perform the same counters, A1, A2, A3 etc up to A<MaxRows>. You can user the IterNo() function to do this expansion.

Once this is done the two tables will associated with each other on the counter ID field. (or you could join them if you wanted to) 

See attached qvf file, I hope this help you to find a solution even if this isn't exactly it.

Thanks

Ben