Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johndoes
Contributor
Contributor

About GetFieldSelections

Good morning, could you please give me some concrete examples of how the GetFieldSelections function or parameter works?

I have a similar example:

sum({<Field1={'02'}, Field2,Field3={"$(=GetFieldSelections(Field2, '","', 100))"} >}Field4)

Can you give me some examples. concrete? I have trouble doing this myself with Qlik, thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

getfieldselections() returned a delimiter-separated list of the selected values from the specified field. It's per default limited to 6 or 12 values which could be overwritten with the third parameter. If the list should be not just displayed within a text-box or a title else be used as parameter or condition it requires  a content-handling because any string-values would need a quoting which is possible to implement but increased the complexity.

In your example the selected values of Field2 are used to define the set analysis selection-state of Field3 or to say it other words to synchronize the selections between different fields. A quite common use-case is to have an extra island-table (not related to the normal data-model) maybe with a date-field which is then used to define a selection-scope without selecting the normal period-fields from a calendar (very often also implemented by variables with separate from-to dates). But of course there are various other scenarios possible.

Like mentioned p() and e() are easier and more powerful to use because they don't touch the field-values itself else the index-values behind them which means the type of content isn't important anymore. Further they are itself set analysis capable which means they could be nested and/or related to further selections states in various ways. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

It's very rarely that the use of getfieldselections() is helpful. More flexible in many ways would be to use a concat(distinct Field) and within a set analysis just p() and e() to get the possible respectively excluded values without to consider the number of values or their data-interpretation. 

johndoes
Contributor
Contributor
Author

HI! Marcus, meanwhile you suggested a very interesting alternative, thanks!

But if I wanted to understand why they chose that function and I wanted to understand it with some examples, what would it consist of?

sum({<Field1={'02'}, Field2,Field3={"$(=GetFieldSelections(Field2, '","', 100))"} >}Field4)

Field1 when equals 02
+ Field2
+ Field3, which is made up of the first 100 values of Field2, separated by commas?

Put the result as the value of Field4??

marcus_sommer

getfieldselections() returned a delimiter-separated list of the selected values from the specified field. It's per default limited to 6 or 12 values which could be overwritten with the third parameter. If the list should be not just displayed within a text-box or a title else be used as parameter or condition it requires  a content-handling because any string-values would need a quoting which is possible to implement but increased the complexity.

In your example the selected values of Field2 are used to define the set analysis selection-state of Field3 or to say it other words to synchronize the selections between different fields. A quite common use-case is to have an extra island-table (not related to the normal data-model) maybe with a date-field which is then used to define a selection-scope without selecting the normal period-fields from a calendar (very often also implemented by variables with separate from-to dates). But of course there are various other scenarios possible.

Like mentioned p() and e() are easier and more powerful to use because they don't touch the field-values itself else the index-values behind them which means the type of content isn't important anymore. Further they are itself set analysis capable which means they could be nested and/or related to further selections states in various ways.