Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giuseppedicosmo
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Qlik decimal issue

Hi,
We have a problem on QlikSense. We tried to do this equality: 0.3=3/10 and we got a false result. We got the same result for 0.6 and 0.9 too, as you can see in the attached file. This can be a problem for kpi that use this numbers. Morever the constant value is less than fract value. The script that we wrote is:
"LOAD
    Num#('0,'&RecNo(),'#,#') as const,
    Num(RecNo()/10,'#,#') as fract
AutoGenerate 9;"
But we tried to replicate the same issue in frontend without fields only doing: 0.3=3/10.  What can we do?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

There are two good work-arounds:

1. Convert it to integers: If you for example know that you always work with tenths (1/10) then you can test
    Round(10*const)=Round(10*frac)
  2. Determine a "close enough"-distance: If you assume that a difference of 0.000001 is close enough, then you can do the test as
    fAbs(const-frac)<=0.000001
    or if you want relative difference, you could use the following test:
    fAbs(const-frac)/RangeMax(fAbs(const),fAbs(frac))<=0.000001

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Mark_Winter
Creator
Creator

Hi Giuseppe,

Like this?

Mark_Winter_0-1671029957977.png

giuseppedicosmo
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Yes, but i have false for 0.3,0.6 and 0.9. Can i see the formule that do you use for the equality? For me is 0.3=3/10 or const=fract

Mark_Winter
Creator
Creator

It's const=fract but, before then, Num#(RecNo()/10,'#,#') as fract

giuseppedicosmo
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Mark, 

Thanks.

But if you use num# you force the argument to be a string. I need to understand why 0.3 as string is different from 3/10, but this doesn't happen for 0.2,0.1 etc. The problem is that i have a sum of a field that is 0.1+0.1+0.1 and this is different from 3/10. This is very strange, because if i do sum(field)=0.3 i got false, even if the sum is 0.3! 

Or
MVP
MVP

Perhaps this will shed some light on the problem:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Rounding-Errors/ba-p/1468808

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You should be very careful when you use equality as condition for floats. Read Or's link above, and you'll understand.

Internally in the Qlik engine we now (introduced after the above blog post) have an algorithm that tries to evaluate if the two numbers are "close enough" and if so, return TRUE. But if we were to be strict, comparing two floats would almost always result in FALSE.

giuseppedicosmo
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi @hic , the article is very good! Now it's all clear, but why do i have that the fixed number is less than fract number? How is it possible? Because you say that this is a problem on equality, but i have problems on disequality too. And if i need to set an equality for a project, what can i do for workaround this issue?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

There are two good work-arounds:

1. Convert it to integers: If you for example know that you always work with tenths (1/10) then you can test
    Round(10*const)=Round(10*frac)
  2. Determine a "close enough"-distance: If you assume that a difference of 0.000001 is close enough, then you can do the test as
    fAbs(const-frac)<=0.000001
    or if you want relative difference, you could use the following test:
    fAbs(const-frac)/RangeMax(fAbs(const),fAbs(frac))<=0.000001