Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

332f5e2.jpg

Happy Tuesday Qlik Community!! This week on the Design Blog I have the pleasure of introducing our newest guest blogger, Lee Matthews. Lee comes to us from the opposite side of the world, well at least from where I am anyway. I mean really, as I get ready for winter he is getting ready for summer.  Lee is a Principal Solution Architect with Qlik and is based in Melbourne, Australia. He joined Qlik in 2011 but has been working in the Business Intelligence field with various ERP and CRM vendors for over 20 years. Prior to that he was a management accountant. He therefore has a long history of working with data and reporting systems for organizations. When not tinkering with Qlik applications for clients, he enjoys tinkering with robots, making things out of wood and teaching these skills to his two boys. We are excited to have your contribution on the Design Blog Lee!

Effectively managing your projects with Qlik Sense

As a Solution Architect with Qlik I get the opportunity to work with many different organizations and to show them how Qlik can solve their problems and add value to their business. One common problem I see across larger enterprises is the need to effectively manage projects and to monitor resourcing for those projects. Often the reporting capability of project management systems is limited, or reporting across the entire portfolio of projects is something they are not designed to do.

This is where Qlik can add great value, in answering questions such as:

• Which resources are over or under utilized?
  • Are there any project managers or locations that seem to be struggling to deliver successful projects?
  • Are there any projects that should be cancelled, as they are not delivering value?

Below is a video I created that demonstrates a Project Portfolio Management application while covering many of the unique and powerful capabilities available in Qlik Sense. This application was developed as an example of how you might use Qlik Sense to analyze your entire project portfolio. It takes some concepts and approaches that different clients use in their businesses. Also worth highlighting is that this app uses a custom KPI object developed using the Widgets functionality built into Qlik Sense. Widgets allow you to develop your own visualizations with just a bit of HTML and CSS. You can learn more about Widgets in this quick video primer created by Mike Tarallo here: Qlik Sense 3.0 - Widget

(I attached this widget for you to play with. If using Qlik Sense Desktop 3.X, just extract the .zip file to your C:\Users\<user_id>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Extensions directory. Qlik Sense Enterprise Server users will want to use the QMC to import the widget using the Extensions import utility.)

Regards,

Lee Matthews

Qlik

Using Qlik Sense for Project Portfolio Management

NOTE: To increase resolution or size of the video, select the YouTube logo in the bottom right of the player. You will be brought directly to YouTube where you can increase the resolution and size of the player window. Look for the 'settings' gears icon in the lower right of the player once at YouTube. If you cannot see the video, you can download the .mp4 file attached to this post.

17 Comments