Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

How do you edit a public sheet in a shared app? In the Qlik Sense cloud hub, users can use a shared space to develop apps collaboratively. Depending on your license and space permission, users in a shared space can create and edit content in an app. According to Qlik Help, there are 4 permissions in a share space.

• Owner: You are the first administrator that can manage the space and its members as well as create content in the space.
  • Is admin: You can manage the space and its members as well as create content in the space.
  • Can edit: You can add and edit content in apps. You cannot manage the space and its membership.
  • Can view: You can view apps in the space, but cannot create content or manage the space.

In this blog, I will share some ways to edit the public sheets in an app. I assume the app is in a shared space and you have create/edit permissions.

An app in a shared space can have sheets that are private or public. Private sheets are sheets in the My sheets section of the App overview and are visible only to you as the owner. Public sheets are in the Public sheets area and are visible to everyone who has permissions to the shared space. See the highlighted areas in the image below.

app overview.png

Sometimes, there may be the need to edit or delete a sheet that is already public or add a new sheet. Let’s cover how to do this.

• Update an existing public sheet – there are two options:
    1. The first option is to right-click on the sheet and select Duplicate. The duplicate sheet will appear in the My sheets section in the App overview. You are now the owner of the sheet and can edit as needed. Once edits are complete, right-click on the sheet and select Make public. Once the sheet is public, you are no longer the owner. Note that it does not overwrite the original sheet that was duplicated. Move the sheet to the appropriate location, if necessary. Now, you need to remove/delete the original sheet that was duplicated. To do this, right-click on the sheet and select Make private. This will move the sheet to the My sheets section of the App overview. From there, you can opt to leave the sheet since only you can see it, or you can right-click on it and select Delete to remove it from the app.
    2. The second option is to make the sheet you would like to edit private by right-clicking on it and selecting Make private. This will move the sheet to the My sheet section of the App overview. From there, you own the sheet and can edit it. Once the edits are complete, right-click on the sheet and select Make public. This will add the sheet back to the Public sheets section of the App overview. If necessary, move the sheet to the appropriate location.

The main difference between these two options is that in the first option, the sheet that is being edited is still visible to users while the edits are being done in a private copy of the sheet. Whereas in the second option, the sheet being edited is not visible to users until it is made public again.

• Delete a public sheet – To delete a public sheet from an app, right-click on it to Make private, then right-click on the now private sheet and select Delete.
  • Add a new sheet to an existing app - Click on Create new sheet and open the sheet to add content.  Once the sheet is ready to share, go to the App overview, right-click on the new sheet and select Make public.

Hopefully, you now know how you can update a public sheet in a shared space. It is easy and the key thing to remember is to make the sheet public once you are ready to share the sheet with others who have access to the shared space. 🙂

Thanks,
Jennell

1 Comment