Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hian_cintra
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

How to properly include/update extension properties into a new version?

Hi there!

We were working on some Qlik extensions and we are releasing new versions every time in order to add some functionalities, or new behaviors.

After importing new versions on QMC  I realized that the new functionalities added on properties, are not been created and it almost always breaks the extension object making it unusable.
As a workaround we are overwriting the old object on canvas by dragging and drop the same Extension Object over the old one placed on Canvas and choosing the “Convert to” functionality, but this is very weird.

All properties added is using a ref tree like: 

prop1.menuX.submenuX.variableX

And if I try to include something like:

prop1.menuX.submenuZY.variableZ

The object throw the below error:

Error after including new propertie ref.Error after including new propertie ref.

I've created a very simple sample extension to reproduce the described error.

On attached files you'll find the update-example-old.zip, give it a try and import it on Qlik Sense environment, place the object on the canvas and save your app (if Qlik Sense desktop).

Then get the update-example-new.zip file and relpace the old one. Back to the canvas and click on the object placed before.

You will see the errors.

So, my question is: Am I missing something on including new properties objects or there is any other better way to do that?

Thanks,
Hian Cintra.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Christopher_prem

When you add an object/extension to an App, a Copy of that object/extension will be created and the copy of the object that got created will get associated/linked with the App(App ID). So when you do changes to the properties of an existing extension, you will have to re-create(drag and drop) the extension in order to get the changes reflected.

This behavior only applies if you are making changes to the definition property of the extension. You don't have to re-create the extension(drag and drop) when changes are made to the paint implementation.  

hian_cintra
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi @Christopher_prem thanks for your time answering my question.

So, there is no other way to make those changes to be applied automaticaly for end-users?

We tried to achieve this by using the ApplyPatches() function, but this only works for Professional Licensed users, all Analyzer face "Access Denied" error...

Thanks in advance!