Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Visualizations Bundle - Trellis Chart showing all values when using Set Analysis

I'm using the Trellis Chart in Qlik Sense in the latest version (June 2020 Patch 3) but it is not working as I "expected" it to work.

I use Set Analysis to limit my data to a certain Product Type so I'm expecting only to see products in my Trellis Chart that are part of that Product Type but the Trellis Chart is showing all products.

The problem is that now all products are shown but only the chart that shows a product that is part of the Product Type used in Set Analysis has values.

Is there an option to reduce the chart to only show the products part of the Product Type in the Set Analysis? So the other charts are not shown in the Trellis Chart?

As a workaround I tried to do a sort of the charts in the Trellis Chart but that does not seem to work either. When I open the sheet with the Trellis Chart it is nicely sorted.

DefaultViewPack.png

Now when I select a different Product Type the charts are not sorted automatically (bug?). I use the Variable Input extension from the Dashboard Bundle.

NewViewNMB.pngExpressionUsed.png

When moving to a different sheet and back to the sheet with the Trellis Chart it is sorted correctly!

NewViewNMBAfterPage.png

Has anyone else had these experiences before?

Marc

Labels (3)
10 Replies
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

I would make sure the combined set expression evaluates properly, perhaps using a table in the container. Investigate both the generated expression and the value of the expression.

Think of the container as it just a chart generator, placing charts side by side injecting the set expression in each of the charts. So if you can make a master viz with the wanted the set expression it should work.

The container is still open source if you want to inspect the code.

https://github.com/qlik-oss/qwik-trellis

Thanks,

Patric

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @Patric_Nordstrom,

Thanks for the response. I will look into this. Any thoughts on the fact that the sorting does not work properly after selecting a different dimension value? When switching between sheets the sorting works and it only shows the charts with values first.

Marc

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @Patric_Nordstrom 

I tried to use a table in the Trellis Chart and the Set Analysis is working properly. The issue I have with the Trellis Chart is that it does not hide a chart when there are no values based on the set analysis.

For example, when I select a product group, my master visualization only shows the product types that are in that group. But the Trellis Chart shows charts for all product types, even when they are not part of the product group selected.

I don't know if there is a solution for this but maybe you can have a look at this issue.

The other one with the sorting is also still an issue. Any idea if this will be solved in an upcoming release?

Marc

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @Patric_Nordstrom ,

I haven't got any response to my last reply. Any thoughts on this? Are there any updates on the Trellis chart on the road map that would solve this issue?

I have looked at the Trellis Chart extension object on Branch, which I assume is the source for the Trellis Chart in the visualization bundle, and that one works properly. Only shows a chart when there are values for the product group.

Marc

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

@marcginqo are you referring to release 0.37.0 of https://github.com/qlik-oss/qwik-trellis from June 2?

0.37.0 is included in the Sepetember 2020 release.

Thanks,

Patric

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @Patric_Nordstrom ,

Not, I was not referring to this one. I was referring to https://github.com/miclae76/trellis-chart

I will test to see if it works better now on the September release.

Thanks,

Marc

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @Patric_Nordstrom ,

I just tested the Trellis chart with the September release but still the same issues as mentioned above.

• It keeps showing empty charts, so not filtering out based on Set Analysis.
  • Sorting of the charts is not working after selecting dimensions, need to go to next/previous sheet and then back to the sheet with the Trellis chart.

As it does work with the extension downloaded from https://github.com/miclae76/trellis-chart there is an option to get it working. Any thoughts on putting this functionality on the next release?

Marc

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

@marcginqo miclae76/trellis-chart is not the same extension.

Note that there is a setting "Show all possible dimension values" in the trellis container that will force all dimension values in each trellis chart to be shown.

The trellis dimension is not affected by selection or dynamic set analysis, so it's not possible to filter out certain ones of the trellis charts, that is currently by design.

It is possible to suggest and vote for new features in the Ideas forum in the community:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/idb-p/qlik-ideas

Thanks,

Patric

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patric_Nordstrom : i just added a pull request on Github https://github.com/qlik-oss/qwik-trellis/pull/50

I looked at the code, and realized that the extension simply does not react to any changes in the user selection state. This means the Object is not rerendered when a selection is done on the Trellis dimension.

I just added a 2 "watch" functions and removed the strange SET ANALYSIS {1} selection from the Hypercube Definition, which could be another reason why always all dimensions are shown.

I guess there is a smarter solution than that, but this would be a huge improvment to the trellis object. See how beautiful the extension now works.

Can you please push R&D so this fix is included in the next Qlik Sense Release?

fix_trellis_Extension.gif