Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Joins and Lookups

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Joins and Lookups

Last Update:

Sep 12, 2012 8:01:01 AM

Updated By:

hic

Created date:

Sep 12, 2012 8:01:01 AM

Attachments

This document concerns data modelling and joins

• What is the difference between a join using the join prefix and a join using a SELECT statement?
  • When should you join and when shouldn't you? Performance considerations?
  • Are there alternatives to joins? (Yes! Applymap!)
  • What does the Keep prefix do?

HIC

See also my blog post on the same subject: To Join or not to Join.

Labels (1)
Comments
Not applicable

Excellent as usual

Fabrice

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Excellent Job Done... Very Useful.

Not applicable

Muy bueno.

Gracias

Not applicable

Simple And Clear

Anonymous
Not applicable

great job !

Not applicable

Thank you very much

Not applicable

Hi

1. I made two inline tables just to test the keep function. Left and inner keep works fine, but a pure keep does not work?   

2. I am very confused, I thought that star schemes where recommended with Qlikview, but here normalization is recommended in most cases?

3. What happens in a join if only some of the data in the specific rows are the same?    

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

1. If you don't specify which type of Join, then it is "Outer". The same logic applies for Keep, but since "Outer Keep" doesn't make sense....

2. It is a trade-off. Snowflake scheme is in my opinion easiest to maintain and should therefore be used. But for large data sets, a star scheme outperforms the snowflake scheme. So, star scheme may then be the better option.

3. Depends on whether you use Outer, Left, Right or Inner Join.

HIC

Not applicable

thx:

1. ah okay, of course it does not makes sense then    Since it accept "keep" as single word in the code, marked as blue, I thought it would do something. So I guess it only evaluates single words.

2. I thought normalization was for large data set and complex systems. Does the star and snowflake only make sense with a fact/dimensional approach? 

3. I will do some more testing   

Not applicable

very informative - thanks for sharing

Version history
Last update:
‎2012-09-12 08:01 AM
Updated by:
Former Employee