Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scotchy
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Has Qlik Dev removed the QSD download option ?

Hey all,

Anyone noticed or knows of an issue/change with Qlik Developer , download QSD file button pointing to the Qlik Community instead ?

Is this a Qlik policy change or de-implementation of QSD files for unlocking QS desktop ?  

Thanks

Paul

Labels (2)
9 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Albert_Candelario

@stevedark @Scotchy the file can be found in the download site, could you please confirm me that works for you?

Albert_Candelario_0-1683292280852.png

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer

View solution in original post

Albert_Candelario

Hello @stevedark,

Indeed a new file is expected when May 2023 release will be available.

Cheers,

Albert

Albert_Candelario

Hello all,

The new file has been provided:

"The unlock file you are about to download expires on August 6, 2023."

Please notice the file will be moved under the May 2023 IR release when available.

Cheers,

Albert

Albert_Candelario

When I just checked on the May 2023 release it says:

"The unlock file you are about to download expires on October 2, 2023."

Where do you see the August 6th?

Cheers,

Albert

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Albert_Candelario 

That is what my Sense Desktop currently says, and I believe I downloaded the file from the May release. It must be that the file in that repository has been updated, rather than a new file being added to a new repository.

That's great that there is a new file available.

Many thanks,
Steve

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It's in the August 23 Initial Release section of GitHub:
https://github.com/qlik-download/qlik-sense-desktop/releases/download/v14.139.4/Qlik_Sense_Desktop.u...

You can always go to here:
https://github.com/qlik-download/qlik-sense-desktop/releases

And then open up each release in turn and find the latest copy of the unlock file.

This one is good until 28th November.

Albert_Candelario

Hello all,

The same file is on the Downloads page:

Albert_Candelario_0-1696309882881.png

The unlock file you are about to download expires on November 28, 2023.

Cheers,

Albert

Albert_Candelario

Hello all,

The new unblock file should be available along with the new release of Feb. 2024.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Albert

47 Replies
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @Scotchy ,
I would say it's just a matter of an outdated link: Qlik Sense Desktop is available on the download portal.

I didn't get exactly where you have the button you are referring to: could you please clarify that? Thanks!

Daniele

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
Scotchy
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

On the site https://developer.qlik.com/garden qlik devs can use the download QSD key to keep their Qlik Sense Desktop installation running for their extension development etc.

When clicking the button we are now taken to the Qlik Community Download portal instead of downloading a key from the site.

I have attached a screenshot of the button on the site for your reference.

Wondering if Qlik is ceasing (unannounced the feature)

Thanks

Paul (Scotchy) 

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Scotchy 

The ability to unlock Desktop was not something that Qlik were keen on at any point. I have been able to get a few unlock keys via being part of the MVP programme, but it has been taking longer and longer to get them created and sent. I'm not at all surprised that the link has gone from developer.qlik.com.

What is the use case you have for needing Desktop and an unlock key?

We used to use the key it for proof of concepts, so that prospects could be left with a working app over their own data on inexpensive hardware. The time limited unlock key meant that the PoC would expire at some point. This use case can be met by starting a trial on Cloud - as long as the client is happy putting their data in the Cloud.

Kind regards,

Steve

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/blog/

Scotchy
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks Steve, but it does not answer my question as there has been no definitive statement from Qlik on this.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I don't believe that Qlik will make this unlock file easily available again. Would be interesting if @Daniele_Purrone has been able to pursue this internally in order to be able to get a response.

I note that you are a partner, I would suggest contacting your PAM and explain to them why you require an unlock key and they may be able to escalate for you.

Steve

Albert_Candelario

Hello all,

In the meantime I would suggest pursuing the approach @stevedark has mentioned within the PAM. We are also reviewing this topic.

Cheers,

Albert

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Interestingly enough, just yesterday we hit a use case where the unlock key would be very useful for us.

A new prospect is currently running their business on Windows 2012, and this includes a number of QlikView apps on a QlikView Server.

They have a project to get in a number of new servers to migrate to and they are looking to upgrade their MI as part of this. Because of the procurement process they have the new servers are not arriving for some time, and the old servers are all tied up and under-specced. They cannot (or will not) put their data in the Cloud (something we have tried to work through with them without success).

So that they can evaluate replacement products for QlikView they want to have a proof of concept on a Desktop PC, ahead of when the new servers arrive.

We are now in the position where we have to explain to them that they need to have a trial of Qlik Sense Cloud, in order to licence Qlik Sense Desktop. This is going to be an interesting one to explain to them.

The Sense unlock key would make that situation just go away. As it is, it is potentially giving them a good reason to go PowerBI instead.

Steve

Albert_Candelario

@stevedark @Scotchy the file can be found in the download site, could you please confirm me that works for you?

Albert_Candelario_0-1683292280852.png

Cheers,

Albert

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Albert_Candelario 

Thanks for sharing the information.

I can confirm that I can download that file and it works. It's only good for another five days though. Is a new file going to be made available soon?

Steve