Skip to main content

Official Support Articles

Search or browse our knowledge base to find answers to your questions ranging from account questions to troubleshooting error messages. The content is curated and updated by our global Support team

Announcements
QlikWorld 2023, a live, in-person thrill ride. April 17 - 20, 2023, in Las Vegas! REGISTER TODAY

Qlik Sense upgrade to November 2022 fails with "An existing standalone PostgresSQL v 12 database has been detected"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sebastian_Linser

Qlik Sense upgrade to November 2022 fails with "An existing standalone PostgresSQL v 12 database has been detected"

Attachments

After using the Qlik PostgreSQL Installer version 1.1 (QPI) to upgrade an existing 9.6 PostgresSQL to 12.5 in the May 2022 or August 2022 release, upgrading to Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows November 2022 release may fail with the following error message.

An existing standalone PostgreSQL v 12 database has been
detected in: C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL
\12.5 with the same installation path as the embedded Qlik Sense
PostgreSQL database. This will cause problems when upgrading
the current installation. Please cancel the setup and install the
PostgreSQL v 12 standalone database with a different path or
remove the database before installing Qlik Sense.

qlik sense setup requirements.png

Resolution

Disclaimer: The following code provided below is an example and might need to be rewritten to meet your expectation in your environment.

We need to move the upgraded database and the binary files for the database into a different folder. The newer version of the QPI (version 1.2 and above) supports custom folders and will prevent this from happening.

To do so:

1. Stop the postgresql-x64-12 service
  2. Open Regedit.exe as administrator
  3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\postgresql-x64-12
  4. Modify the image path to "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -N "postgresql-x64-12" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12\data" -w
  5. Move the folder "C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\12.5" to "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12\"
  6. Move the folder "C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\12.5" to "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12\data"
  7. Start the postgresql-x64-12 service
  8. Start the upgrade to November 2022 again and the warning message is gone.

A PowerShell script for the same can be found here.

Cause

The Qlik Postgres Installer in the early version could only install into the same directory which the Qlik Sense installation would use for an embedded PostgreSQL database. This lead to problems on the upgrade to the November release.

Environment

Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows November 2022

Labels (1)
Comments
janyf
Partner - Contributor III

Uhm ... , so solution for this whole issue, is that you will move database from Qlik folder , so it will be like standalone.
So there will be still at least two possible configurations.

1. if I install new Qlik (or use venerable and old procedure of backup - reinstall - restore), I will have bundled Qlik database with Qlik sense repository database service (which have dependencies , and if I will restart it all services will be restarted)

2. If I use upgrade tool, I will have hybrid configuration - something like standalone database but in Qlik sense folder (in same place like bundled) , If I encounter any issues , then solution is not revert everything to normal - bundled, but change hybrid to standalone ...

Could I ask why ? , Why you think this is good idea ? To force change from bundled to standalone (or something like standalone) ?

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @janyf

We're looking into your query and will get back to you as soon as possible.

All the best,
Sonja

Sebastian_Linser

Hello @janyf the second point is easy to explain. It brings the flexibility many customers asked for. You can yourself upgrade to any other suppported Postgresql version in case of a vulnerability issue. You dont need for Qlik to move on the next version. So here you can mive to e.g 12.12 when your IT flags 12.5 as not acceptable, for August 2022 even Postgresql 13 is approved. The next reason is space issues on the c drive, you get the possibility to move the db to another drive.

On the first question if you don't need the flexibility you can keep using the embedded one as long as Qlik Support that setup.

Best regards

Sebastian

janyf

Hello Sebastian, 

So to be completely clear on this. 

If I used qpi (qlik postgres installer) then recommended way is used this script and move database away from folder - therefore to change from bundled to standalone.

If I have customer where I don't use it yet, and I want to stay on bundled postgres database. Recommended setup is  use backup - reinstall - restore . 

Could You please confirm that my assumptions are correct ?

Also is there any plans to deprecate bundled postgres setup in future ?  

And yes, I understand Qlik reasoning there, I only want to be completely sure and avoid any problems. 

best regards 

Jan Farkas

Sebastian_Linser

Hello Jan,

If I have customer where I don't use it yet, and I want to stay on bundled postgres database. Recommended setup is  use backup - reinstall - restore . 

This would be the way for the backup - reinstall - restore

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/How-to-manually-upgrade-the-bundled-Qlik-Sen...

If I used qpi (qlik postgres installer) then recommended way is used this script and move database away from folder - therefore to change from bundled to standalone.

-> that is only valid if you used QPI version 1.1 which we blocked from downloading. then you need to use that article above

If you use version 1.2 which hopefully gets released tomorrow that issue is addressed and will not happen again.

This one "Also is there any plans to deprecate bundled postgres setup in future ?  " 

Until further notice we don't have this on the roadmap.

best regards

Sebastian

Version history
Last update:
‎2022-12-01 05:53 AM
Updated by: