Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AtQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

Can I use Dimension and Measure used in Report builder inside my Nprinting Report

I am developing a PowerPoint report  where I need to use Dimensions and Measures which was basically used in Report builder. Is this possible in NPrinting? 

Demension is

1. Country Name

2. Region

Measure is 

1. Total Baby wear sales

2. Total Baby winter clothes 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @AtQlik 

Well - so why don't you create table in QlikView/Qlik Sense with Country as Dimension and the 2 measures you  mentioned above and use that as object in NPrinting?

I really suggest to study documentation - those are the basic features explained there: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/September2020/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/QlikView-NP...

Please go over it and I am sure it will clarify your doubts - cheers 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

AtQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Lech - I did the same. Initially I was thinking to use existing RB object to create the table for my report.  Found, in Report Builder(Plug-in) we can't get object id of dimensions, so created a new table with dimension and column names I wanted and used them in my report. It WORKED!!. 

The learning here is, from Report builder we can't get object id. 

Thank you for all you inputs. Great appreciate all your insights shared. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, If I understand your question correctly the simple answer is no... but there is thin line between what you can or cannot do...

You may want to be very precise with what is what. Start by stating versions of NPrinting, QlikView or QlikSense together with their releases. 

Once this is done you may want to go to Https://help.qlik.com and study tutorials to get understanding what you can do with NPrinting.

When you say that you want to use dimensions and measures it is important to understand how you want to use it... Fields (but not MASTER ITEMS dimensions or measuers) can be used as pages together with QlikView/Qlik Sense Tables. Master Measures and Dimensions can be used only if they are present in some objects like charts or tables as those are used in NPrinting. 

If you want your measure to return single value (like KPI) you may want to put it in variable or NPrinting formula...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
AtQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Sorry I tried to post my questions soon after I posted my initial question in a table  but yesterday I was receiving HTML error in this forum window, so couldn't post my question precisely. 

I am looking to print the data in Dimension and Measures in a table format.(due to html error not using default Table options) . Here Country is a dimension and total sales is measure

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country Name   |   Total baby wear sales | Total Winter baby wear sales

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| USA                      |       10                                     |               15                                            |

| Canada               |        20                                    |                30                                           |

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @AtQlik 

Well - so why don't you create table in QlikView/Qlik Sense with Country as Dimension and the 2 measures you  mentioned above and use that as object in NPrinting?

I really suggest to study documentation - those are the basic features explained there: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/September2020/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/QlikView-NP...

Please go over it and I am sure it will clarify your doubts - cheers 

AtQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Lech - I did the same. Initially I was thinking to use existing RB object to create the table for my report.  Found, in Report Builder(Plug-in) we can't get object id of dimensions, so created a new table with dimension and column names I wanted and used them in my report. It WORKED!!. 

The learning here is, from Report builder we can't get object id. 

Thank you for all you inputs. Great appreciate all your insights shared. 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @AtQlik 

I am glad it worked for you. I want to stress that NPrinting is enterprise class tool and requires skilled NPrinting developers (who are also skilled QlikView/Qlik Sense) developers to build reports. 

Word of advice if I may: If your questions were only in relations to you learning NPrinting than all is well and I am glad that you got it all working and learned from it, but if you are trying to build production ready reports I would suggest first to get proper NPrinting training as NPrinting reports built using wrong practices may have major impact on Qlik environments and can put a lot of resource stress. So please just be mindful of that. There should be proper framework designed starting by design of Qlik Sense application with NPrinting in mind. That means that your applications should be built so they can be fully supported by  NPrinting. Judging by your question I guess you are just starting using it so my first question would be: Does your QlikView/Qlik Sense application meet all requirements for NPrinting? Do you know what are all those requirements etc.. Those are listed in https://help.qlik.com and are part of 529 pages manual so yeah there is a lot to learn. If you start using it wrong from the beginning there will be a lot of rework to be done to get it fixed. I have helped a lot of people who were in this position before and I also had to re-do reports which were designed wrong. 

At the end - don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you, but I am trying to make you aware that NPrinting is a tool which requires experience and taking first steps should be done under eyes of someone experienced.

cheers

AtQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Lech for sharing additional insights.  Yes we do have a stable QS app. All I was trying to do is without making changes to the QS app, trying different ways to generate the report. 

NPrinting as tool is not that complex but knowing minute intricacies is time consuming, so was using NP forum to know some immediate answers. 

Hope your's not for sales pitch-in {Just kidding}

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

no i was not sales pitching (I am far from that), but I often face people who built something with NPrinting and were very disappointed when they encountered multiple issues. Explaining to them how many different mistakes they made on the way was usually unpleasant and difficult process, so now I am just giving heads up when I sense from the question that person asking it does not work with NPrinting on daily basis. That's all really.

ohhh and remember that https://help.qlik.com is your best friend to start with 🙂