Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NishantPatel
Contributor II
Contributor II

Use Custom Fonts and Embed Fonts in Pixel Perfect NPrinting Report

Hi,

I have created a Pixel Perfect report in NPrinting and will be using custom fonts (Rift Soft and Asap).

I have installed the fonts (in .ttf format) in the server that contains the NPrinting engine and designer as mentioned in these links:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Fonts-do-not-display...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/Custom-fonts-in-NPrinting-PDF-reports-do-not-show-correctly/...

I have added this as a label into my Pixel Perfect report (see below) and it is working on the template itself.

NishantPatel_0-1639100878997.png

However, when I run a preview of the report (in PDF) it does not work (see below).

NishantPatel_1-1639101024684.png

The same issue occurs for my custom font in text boxes (Rich Text object) as well (works in template but doesn't work when exported to PDF)

Template

NishantPatel_2-1639101842560.png

Exported to PDF

NishantPatel_3-1639101975179.png

Could you please advise how I would go about resolving this issue?

I also did some research on embedding fonts and have found that it is possible in QlikView: https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Dev/embed-fonts-in-qlik-view/m-p/693185

Can the same be achieved in a Pixel Perfect NPrinting report where I can embed these custom fonts so that they print correctly when exported as a PDF?

Thank you

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It seems you have covered everything, but you have not mentioned if you have restarted at least nprinting engine service or whole nprinting server machine. I would do the later to ensure that everything works.

I am not saying this will fix the issue, but experience teaches that services typically require restart to pick up new fonts. NPrinting Designer may work as it is launched only when you edit report, but engine if it wasn't restarted may not be "aware" of the new font, not to mention other services like pdf printers etc...

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I googled "Rift Soft font" but I was not able to find a true type version. I found it only in Open Type Font. Be sure it is true type (.ttf) that are the only supported by Qlik NPrinting. 

I installed a true type font on all my Qlik NPrinting Engines and rebooted them. Then I installed the same .ttf on the computer where I run the Qlik NPrinting Designer. I created a PixelPerfect template with a Rich Text object and a Label both set to use the new font. The preview in PDF is correctly created with the new true type font. 

This font was not available in none of the computers involved in the test before, I checked.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It seems you have covered everything, but you have not mentioned if you have restarted at least nprinting engine service or whole nprinting server machine. I would do the later to ensure that everything works.

I am not saying this will fix the issue, but experience teaches that services typically require restart to pick up new fonts. NPrinting Designer may work as it is launched only when you edit report, but engine if it wasn't restarted may not be "aware" of the new font, not to mention other services like pdf printers etc...

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

It seems that you did everything correctly:

• the fonts are true type (.ttf) that are the only supported
  • you installed them on all the computers where the Qlik NPrinting Engines run

What I can suggest now is:

• did you installed the fonts also in the computers where you are opening the generated PDFs? It could be that generated PDFs have not the custom fonts embedded so they need to find them in the computers where you open them. If the pdf reader will not find the font it will use a default one
  • could you upgrade to latest version (May 2021 SR2 at the moment I'm writing)? I checked the release notes and I don't find similar solved issue but it is always better to test also with the most recent version to benefit of all solved bugs
  • does the issue happen only with PixelPerfect? Did you tested other template types?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Frank_S
Support
Support

@NishantPatel

If you wish, share your custom font here.

From NPrinting, export a copy of a similar report with sample data.

We can try to repro the issue then make next steps suggestions, workaround or solution.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I googled "Rift Soft font" but I was not able to find a true type version. I found it only in Open Type Font. Be sure it is true type (.ttf) that are the only supported by Qlik NPrinting. 

I installed a true type font on all my Qlik NPrinting Engines and rebooted them. Then I installed the same .ttf on the computer where I run the Qlik NPrinting Designer. I created a PixelPerfect template with a Rich Text object and a Label both set to use the new font. The preview in PDF is correctly created with the new true type font. 

This font was not available in none of the computers involved in the test before, I checked.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
NishantPatel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

I did a restart of the NPrinting server (as mentioned by @Lech_Miszkiewicz) and reran a preview of the report in PDF. It is now working - I guess it did need a restart to pick up the new fonts, which I didn't think of.

@Ruggero_Piccoli  - I think the Rift Soft font was originally in Open Type but I converted it to True Type (.ttf) before installing it.

Thank you 🙂