Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShuaibMoolla2
Contributor II
Contributor II

nPrinting Error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Good Day Experts,

For some reason I am receiving this error when running a task or previewing an Excel report in nPrinting Designer.

ShuaibMoolla2_0-1666631677053.png

One moment everything was fine and the next this started appearing without any changes made.

I have tried restarting the services, restarting the entire server and reloading the metadata connections but still no success.

I have noticed that some entities are appearing as missing in nPrinting Designer but when looking at the source .qvw the entities are there.

ShuaibMoolla2_1-1666631937825.png

This is occurring on multiple reports and tasks. 

The version that is running is Qlik NPrinting April 2019 Version: 19.9.5.0

Any assistance would be highly appreciated. 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShuaibMoolla2
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks to everyone that has provided me with a solution.

After some digging we have found that the Qlikview local license had had disappeared for some reason which meant Qlikview was running on a Personal Edition. The connections were still successful but there were no entities in the models.

After applying the license everything is running successfully.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

@ShuaibMoolla2 that version of NP is long out of support unfortunately, in fact it went out of support back in of April of 2021 (wow time is flying!)  so please upgrade as soon as possible!

If you create a brand new report, does the error follow?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

True,

• Upgrade version to supported
  • Ensure design of your template as well as qvw is supported and does not contain unsupported objects (documented on https://help.qlik.com - just search there). The fact that designer complaints about some objects being removed etc is already indicating that there is clearly something wrong there.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I agree with the suggestions about the supported version. When you have an issue the first thing to do is to be sure you are using a supported configuration. Please plan the upgrade of your installation, better to the latest version. This will not warranty you that will solve your issue but you will benefit from all solved bugs.

Searching in the community for your error message I found this old article https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/NPrinting-quot-Object-Reference-not-set-to-a.... It seems related to the use on not supported objects that are listed in https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2022/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Qlik-objects-supp...

After reloading the connection cache, close and re-open the Designer to be sure it reads again the list of available objects and press the button "Check Entities".

Ruggero_Piccoli_0-1666687295838.png

It will show you the list of entities used in the template but no more available in the connections.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
ShuaibMoolla2
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks to everyone that has provided me with a solution.

After some digging we have found that the Qlikview local license had had disappeared for some reason which meant Qlikview was running on a Personal Edition. The connections were still successful but there were no entities in the models.

After applying the license everything is running successfully.

Frank_S
Support
Support

Thank you for sharing that solution.

I have added this to an existing article on this topic.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/NPrinting-Preview-Error-Object-reference-not...

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Thanks for sharing-strange that this hasn’t pop up when you would validate and refresh metadata connection? One of the steps checks that-did it show the missing license error?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
ShuaibMoolla2
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Yes, it was strange that the verification did not pick it up. Weirdly all steps in the verification process ran successfully.

This occurred even after upgrading to the latest version. 

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Do you have more than one Engine?

If you do a Run Verification the QlikView license is checked. Maybe it was lost after?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.