Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fj40wdh
Contributor III
Contributor III

Change KEY values going to Kafka

We have a Qlik task with an Oracle source and a Kafka target (key columns defined). The app that updates Oracle changes data in the unique index, in the table. The problem for us, is we are using the unique key in Oracle as a primary key downstream of Kafka. The index data change is causing a Primary Key change down stream which is causing update problems (can't find the current record because the key changed). The question is, can we change just the key values in Qlik? I know there is before and after info, but we need to change the key values going to Kafka.

"key":
{"FACILITY":{"string":"BNP"},
"TICKET_NUMBER":{"string":"94054100"},
"WHSE":{"string":"1"},
"CATALOG_ID":{"string":"0073530040"},
"Q_LEVEL":{"string":"0"},
"UTC_NUMBER":{"string":" },
"QTY_TYPE":{"string":"PR"},
"LOC_ZONE":{"string":"3"},
"LOC_ROW":{"string":"D"},
"LOC_SECTION":{"string":"3A"},
"LOC_TIER":{"string":"3ZZ"},
"LOC_BIN":{"string":"ZZZ"}},
"value"
_data": { ...
_beforeData": { ...

Labels (1)
8 Replies
john_wang
Support
Support

Hello @fj40wdh ,

Thanks for reaching out to Qlik Community!

I'm uncertain about the impact of changing the primary key or unique index on the downstream components of Kafka. Are you concerned about how this change might affect which partition the messages are sent to?

If yes, we have a similar discussion, Kafka Partition strategy by primary key.

Hope this helps.
John.

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
fj40wdh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks!

I am not concerned about the key in Kafka. We will only be changing the value of one of the columns in the key. The partition will not be affected. Just wondering if there is a key variable like the before variable  $BI__UTC_NUMBER or current value $UTC_NUMBER that be accessed to change the key value while leaving the current value as is?  

john_wang
Support
Support

Hello @fj40wdh ,

Thanks for the update.

By default the Kafka message contains the record before image in "beforeData" section (see ), however you still can use the $BI__<columnName> to get additional value of the before image (see ), a sample of the column "name" before image and after image:

john_wang_0-1720625515567.png

Hope this helps.

John.

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
fj40wdh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks

I'm aware of the before image and after image. I'm need to know about the KEY "image" see the example in my original post. when you look at the topics in Kafka there is a KEY section, a CURRENT DATA section, and a BEFORE DATA section. All of this comes from Qlik Replicate. I know I can change the Before and After image data, I need to know if there is a way to change just the KEY data,

Note

You can change the after image and it will change the key, but I only need to change the key.

Thanks.

john_wang
Support
Support

Hello @fj40wdh ,

I guess I did not get the question well. Would you please export the task and attach the json - obfuscating sensitive information as needed.

Thank you,

John.

fj40wdh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Here's the file

fj40wdh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Here's a file with the record from Kafka, you can see the KEY section, then VALUE section, under the value section is the AFTER and BEFORE data. 

john_wang
Support
Support

Hello @fj40wdh ,

Thanks for the information. Would you please open a support ticket with source table creation DDL and we'd like to reproduce the behavior in our internal labs to understand the issue. I'd love to work with out support team to move the case forward.

thanks,

John.