Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Qlik Sense App: Monitor Capacity Licences on Qlik Cloud and Notify of Usage

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Qlik Sense App: Monitor Capacity Licences on Qlik Cloud and Notify of Usage

Last Update:

May 11, 2021 9:12:59 AM

Updated By:

stevedark

Created date:

May 5, 2021 3:56:26 PM

Attachments

Qlik Analyzer Capacity licences are a great way of allowing a large number of infrequent users into your Qlik apps. Out of the box though it is not easy to monitor their usage in Qlik Cloud (SaaS).

This app uses the licences API to find how many minutes of capacity there are on the server, how many minutes have been consumed and where you would expect usage to be on this day of the month, given a calculated run rate. If usage is higher than a set threshold then an email is sent notifying of this.

The app is designed to work in Qlik Cloud, but can be modified to work in Qlik Sense Enterprise for Windows (client managed) also.

There is a blog post accompanying this app, with full details of how it is put together and how to configure it. You can find this here:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/sense-capacity-licence-notify/

The app is not much to look at, but the email in your inbox could save you from having users locked out:

Analyzer Capacity Monitor AppAnalyzer Capacity Monitor App

If you have any questions or comments on the app, please add them to the comments below, or on the blog post itself.

If you like this app then you may find some of our other apps useful, find these here:
https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/examples/

All the best,

Steve

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/blog/

Comments
Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi @stevedark and thanks for adding this post. I wanted to add / share with you and the community that we are working on an updated API which allows you to map the data to the user who is consuming the Capacity + more. This will be released within a couple of days together with a "User Analyzer App" and as well a different way about how we are consuming Analyzer Capacity units.

Best regards,

Thomas

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Thanks @Thomas_Hopp , that is great to hear. This is one of a number of apps and scripts that I have created that I hoped to be temporary, with baked-in functionality coming to replace it at some point.

Looking forward to finding out about the new endpoints, the analyzer app and what is happening with analyzer capacity. I do hope the change is a positive one for users - otherwise I will have some explaining to do to clients!

The thing which shocked me with the way that the capacity licences are working at the moment is if a user without a licence adds a chart to their hub it consumes a slice of capacity every time the app refreshes, whether they are logged in or not. As far as I can see there is no way you can prevent users adding charts to their hub - so we have clients who just hope that users without full licences don't notice it. Not ideal.

Thanks for always pushing the product forward. Very much looking forward to taking some of the functionality shown at Qlik World for a spin soon.

Cheers,
Steve

0 Likes
Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi @stevedark , just wanted to share with you the Datamodel which includes data from the new endpoints in regards to the Analyzer Capacity usage. We will most probably call the App "user analyzer" as we are planning to include more into it over time as well.

Thomas_Hopp_0-1622533835346.png

We should be able to release the App within the next couple of days.

Regards,

Thomas

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Thomas_Hopp 

This looks like it will be super useful. Can you please advise where the new endpoints are? I thought it might be an expansion of the Audits API (https://qlik.dev/apis/rest/audits) but looking at the list of types I can not see any that give capacity used.

Presume that the documentation has not yet been updated to reflect the new endpoints?

Steve

0 Likes
Tamarah
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @Thomas_Hopp ,

Any updates on the User Analyzer app? Our Capacity License is active since the first of june of this year. But we noticed that there was no time left to use within two weeks. So I really want to know how this license is consumed. I thought Qlik already had an monitoring app available to analyze the capacity ussage... But I guess the User Analyzer app is what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for your reaction.

Kind Regards, Tamarah

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Tamarah 

You may find that this site what you need:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Support-Updates-Blog/The-Entitlement-Analyzer-for-Qlik-Sense-Enterpris...

The app in this thread though will email you an early warning, so you can take action before you run out. 

Be careful of capacity users setting up subscriptions and monitoring charts in the hub - as both of these things take capacity minutes at present. 

Hope that helps, 

Steve

0 Likes
Tamarah
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you @stevedark for you quick response and contribution!

I've seen this post and have imported the Entitlement Analzer app. But we have Qlik Sense on premise and this app is based on Saas. So I was wondering if there is a similar app available for non SaaS customers.

0 Likes
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Tamarah 

You should find a couple of apps under the Monitoring Tools stream,  Licence Monitor and Operations Monitor. The second of these is perhaps the most useful. If you don't see these, it's probably a permissions thing.

There are other Qlik apps, which you can find details of here:
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/May2021/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_DeployA...

You can also load data from the various REST apps in Enterprise on premise. A good start for this is to look at the Sense Sessions scripts within my Instant Sense App. Details of this are here:
https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/instant-qlik-sense-app/

and

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/sense-session-logs/

To get total capacity, capacity used and turn that into a run rate on prod you can do the following:

LIB CONNECT TO 'monitor_apps_REST_license_overview';

tmpCapacity:
SQL SELECT
(SELECT
"allocatedMinutes",
"usedMinutes",
"unavailableMinutes"
FROM "analyzerTimeAccess" FK "__FK_analyzerTimeAccess")
FROM JSON (wrap on) "root" PK "__KEY_root";

let vCLAlloc = alt(peek('allocatedMinutes', -1, 'tmpCapacity'), 0);
let vCLUsed = alt(peek('usedMinutes', -1, 'tmpCapacity'), 0);
let vCLUnavail = alt(peek('unavailableMinutes', -1, 'tmpCapacity'), 0);
let vCLRunRate = num(vCLAlloc * ((now() - MonthStart(today())) / Day(MonthEnd(today()))), '###0');

DROP TABLE tmpCapacity;

LOAD
'Number of minutes left (of $(vCLAlloc))' as Status,
$(vCLAlloc) - $(vCLUsed) as Value
AUTOGENERATE(1);

// Calculate percentage of minutes used
LOAD
'Percentage of minutes used (of $(vCLAlloc))' as Status,
num(($(vCLUsed) / $(vCLAlloc)) * 100, '#,##0.0') as Value
AUTOGENERATE(1);

// Calculate percentage of run-rate minutes left
LOAD
'Percentage of capacity run-rate ($(vCLUsed) of $(vCLRunRate) minutes)' as Status,
num(($(vCLUsed) / $(vCLRunRate)) * 100, '#,##0.0') as Value
AUTOGENERATE(1);

// Count the number of minutes unavailable
LOAD
'Number of minutes unavailable (of $(vCLAlloc))' as Status,
$(vCLUnavail) as Value
AUTOGENERATE(1);

Hope that gives you what you need.

Steve

Tamarah
Contributor III
Contributor III

Oh wow, thank you @stevedark !

Sounds like what I'm looking for. I will take a look at the options and will let you know if I managed to get things working for me.

Grtz, Tamarah

0 Likes
Alastair_Ometis
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi @Thomas_Hopp is there any update on the User Analyzer App and proposed endpoints?  We have a number of clients working with capacity licensing now and they are finding it difficult to work out who needs to have a full Analyzer license rather than use capacity and vice versa.  It would be great to hear how much progress has been made and any prospective availability dates/timeframe.

Best,

Alastair

0 Likes
Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2021-05-11 09:12 AM
Updated by: