Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Configurable ODBC as Directory Service Connector require re-Apply regularly

I am using QV11 SR2 and the Configurable ODBC Directory Service Connector for user access. 

The solution works well when it works, but a few times a day I need to keep going to the QMC and re-Apply the configuration as the server does not see the users and groups created in the database.  Once I re-Apply, everything works week for a few hours and then the same issue happens again and users get a failed to authenticate message.  At this point, I have to go back to QMC, open one of the ODBC connections, close and re-Apply - and things start working again.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Any comments/suggestions on this will be highly appreciated.

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi.

Check in your logs if you have any database connection errors.

We found that dsc has some trouble to reconnect to the database if there is a loss connection.

You can minimise this with a scheduled service restart.

Good Luck.

Miguel Catalão

Not applicable
Author

We were able to identify the issue was related to the database server.  The problem was that the database server was scheduled to open a secure VPN connection to other data sources for ETL processes and everytime that happened, the QVS connection got disconnected.  When we restarted the DSC on QVS, then everything worked fine again.

Working on setting up the scheduled service restart and believe that this should resolve the issue for now.  Still not sure why QVS cannot do this automatically for DSC when all other applications including QV reloads work fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I don't know the architecture, but i think the DSC keeps the  connection between it and the Database alive.

This connection is only "refreshed" if it is restarted or if you click the apply button...

BTW, you might also notice that the web server also crashes (if you are using the Qlikview Web Server), because the DSC becomes irresponsive to any web server requests.

Cheers,

Miguel Catalão

Qlikview Senior Consultant

MEllinghausen
Creator III
Creator III

Hey,

have you checkout "Enable Query Timeout" in your ODBC Connection?

Marcus

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Where do you find the "Enable Query Timeout"?

It is not the Query time out that is the problem. The problem is that the connection gets closed after a while. I think it is due to inactivity but I'm not sure on that.

In the connection pop-up in QMC I just specify the driver, schema and table that shall be used and QV builds the connection string.

This is the info typed in.

Cache expiry in minutes

Conn db name

myDBSchema

Data source name

MySQL ODBC 5.2w Driver

Directory label

myLabel

Entity name

ColumnName

Entity table db name

EntityTableName

Groups table db name

GroupTableName

Override connection string

Nothing if just info above shall be used

Service timeout in seconds

Maybe I the solution is to define an overriding connection string?

I found that there is a KeepAlive flag I can pass in the string to the MySQL DB. Haven't tested it yet though

The KeepAlive defines the time between keepAlive-packets are sent according to www.connectionsstring.com

Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;Uid=myUsername;Pwd=myPassword;Keepalive=10;

MEllinghausen
Creator III
Creator III

Hey Andy,

when you have  enable query timeout, than the connection is closed in a time, whenn no traffic is.

I think the "Enable Query TimeOut" is only a feature for the oracle client odbc connection.

ODBC_TimeOUT.png

Not applicable
Author

Where is the enable query timeout?

Is anyone aware of a keep alive type of option for MS SQL connection string?