Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
npapapicco
Partner - Contributor III

Moving Qlik View Server to a new virtual machine

Hello,

I have seen a lot of topics on qlik view migration from 11.20 to 12.x to another machine, but I wasn't able to find a step by step procedure to migrate to a new server, maintaining tasks, bookmarks and assigned cals. More than this customers are asking to rename the new server as the old server once the old server is dismissed.

Some customers want to move Qlik View from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2016 and up. The scenario is

current server: Qlik View Server  12.20 on Windows Server 2008 virtual machine, dozens of user and document cals assigned to Active Directory users, a lot of tasks, many users with shortcuts pointing by server name to qlik access point.

destination server: fresh Windows Server 2016 or 2019 virtual machine.

Customers want to migrate without loosing tasks, bookmarks and assigned cals and, after removing the old server from the network, rename the new server as the old server.

I tried to use what stated in the help on line and in many topics from knowledge base and community topics, but it didn't work. During a test I couldn't see tasks migrated or cals assigned to users. In any attempt hte qmc was not showing the mounted folders although I replicated the directory path on the new server.

Is there someone who faced this use case?

Thank you

Nicola

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npapapicco
Author

Hi Brett,

you are right saying that every implementation and migration is a little different depending on customer configuration and goals.

Last week I built a lab to test qlik view migration to a new server and to note down steps for successful migration.

Customer's requirement was: migrate Qlik View Server from current Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine to a new Windows Server 2016 virtual machine retaining server name (many user have shortcuts to the server name on their desktop) , cal assignment (both user and document), tasks and bookmarks.

Source virtual machine is joined to an active directory domain, cal are assigned both to domain accounts and local account.

After a successful lab today I have migrated the customer's server without issues, following activities I did

source server activities:

• Take a snapshot of the virtual machine
  • Change the qlik service account from local user account to domain user account (this user account would be the qlik service account on the new server), give full access to .\ProgramData\QlikTech folder and subfolders, to folders including qvw files and to folder .\Program Files\QlikView folder and subfolders. Include the domain user account into local groups Administrators and QlikView Administrators, test that all is working with the new service account  
  • Stop all services and copy folder .\ProgramData\QlikTech to a backup network share
  • Reproduce on the destination server the same path for qvw files, refer to default document and mounted folders configured in the QMC
  • disjoin the server from the domain moving to a workgroup and remove the computer account from active directory
  • Rename the server, change IP address and shutdown 

destination server activities:

• Create local users account as the source server and include the domain user service account into local Administrators group
  • Rename server to the source server name and assign the same IP address as the old before was demoted
  • Login using the domain service user account
  • Install Qlik View Server at the same version as the source server and make sure services are started correctly. Do not open QMC or Access Point at this time, we don't need to configure license because the same as the source server would be used
  • Stop all services
  • Rename the folder .\ProgramData\QlikTech as .\ProgramData\QlikTechOrig
  • Copy QlikTech folder from the backup network share
  • Restart the server
  • Open the QMC and voilà all settings are migrated to new Windows Server 2016 virtual machine, license, cal assignment, tasks and bookmarks are there.

I know that this would appear clear and simple but I was unable to have a successful migration the first attempt I did following topics found in the knowledgebase and in the help online.

Regards

Nicola 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Nicola, there reason some of the steps are vague is that every implementation is just a little different etc., so it is all but impossible to cover every single scenario when writing things to try to help.  This is where we expect your experience and knowledge to kick in and guide you in determining how to do things for each specific instance...

That being said, regarding the CALs, the key there is the CalData.pgo file, that needs to be copied from the existing server to the new server, and you need to remember there are two copies of it, one in the QVS Root Folder path as configured in the QMC QVS resource settings on the Folders tab, and the other in C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer.  You need to be sure a copy is placed in both locations in order for things to work.

I just wanted to make a point regarding Server 2019 too, the only track that supports that OS is 12.40 and later, just FYI, the earlier tracks only go to Server 2016, so be careful there.  

Regarding Tasks, those are stored in the QVPR folder of the Management Service/QMS, so you need to grab the QVPR from the existing environment and bring that over to the new environment as well, but there are some tricks to getting things working correctly, the main one being ensuring you have same folder paths etc. for things in place and changing all the service URLs to point to the new server(s) where those exist.  I have done at least one if not two Techspert Thursday presentations along these lines, just FYI, where I tried to walk folks through things.  The key here is to make use of the XMLDBViewer power tool, makes things much easier to find what you need to update and you can do the find/replace with the tool too.  

As far as renaming things goes, that should be possible, but you will need to go through the QVPR again when you do that prior to bringing the services back online to repoint everything back to the original server name...  Hopefully this makes sense.  I can safely say this is all possible, as I have done it many many times at this point, but if you are not very confident with the QVPR files and underlying QlikView infrastructure, it is likely going to be a challenge...  I have been doing things for 15 years, so quite easy for me at this point.  If you have further questions, shout back, and I will reply as quickly as I can.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
npapapicco
Author

Hi Brett,

you are right saying that every implementation and migration is a little different depending on customer configuration and goals.

Last week I built a lab to test qlik view migration to a new server and to note down steps for successful migration.

Customer's requirement was: migrate Qlik View Server from current Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine to a new Windows Server 2016 virtual machine retaining server name (many user have shortcuts to the server name on their desktop) , cal assignment (both user and document), tasks and bookmarks.

Source virtual machine is joined to an active directory domain, cal are assigned both to domain accounts and local account.

After a successful lab today I have migrated the customer's server without issues, following activities I did

source server activities:

• Take a snapshot of the virtual machine
  • Change the qlik service account from local user account to domain user account (this user account would be the qlik service account on the new server), give full access to .\ProgramData\QlikTech folder and subfolders, to folders including qvw files and to folder .\Program Files\QlikView folder and subfolders. Include the domain user account into local groups Administrators and QlikView Administrators, test that all is working with the new service account  
  • Stop all services and copy folder .\ProgramData\QlikTech to a backup network share
  • Reproduce on the destination server the same path for qvw files, refer to default document and mounted folders configured in the QMC
  • disjoin the server from the domain moving to a workgroup and remove the computer account from active directory
  • Rename the server, change IP address and shutdown 

destination server activities:

• Create local users account as the source server and include the domain user service account into local Administrators group
  • Rename server to the source server name and assign the same IP address as the old before was demoted
  • Login using the domain service user account
  • Install Qlik View Server at the same version as the source server and make sure services are started correctly. Do not open QMC or Access Point at this time, we don't need to configure license because the same as the source server would be used
  • Stop all services
  • Rename the folder .\ProgramData\QlikTech as .\ProgramData\QlikTechOrig
  • Copy QlikTech folder from the backup network share
  • Restart the server
  • Open the QMC and voilà all settings are migrated to new Windows Server 2016 virtual machine, license, cal assignment, tasks and bookmarks are there.

I know that this would appear clear and simple but I was unable to have a successful migration the first attempt I did following topics found in the knowledgebase and in the help online.

Regards

Nicola