Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

All the charts in a big Dashboard work - but one - help plz

Hi,

this Dashboard I'm working on is really making me foxdevilswild 😉

I have adapted the layout on six Tabs, each with six Charts. They used to be all individual objects and there was a Background Image. That didn't work, so now they're all inside a big Container_box. I spent a lot of time on that because Container_boxes are just very bitchy - something always links up to something it's not supposed to ...

Now finally everything works - well, everything but one Chart ... that Chart, for whatever reason, is dependent on a selection in a field that has only one value - so selecting that seems Kind of superfluous, but when I select it, the Chart is perfectly good; When I don't, it is crap. But when I select this field, for whatever reason, all the other Charts just Display the message "no data to Display" 😉 => That is my Dilemma.

I guess there's no better way than to examine what makes this one Chart dependent on that selection and changing it - but to be honest, I just don't want to spend any more time on this - I feel that when I try, something else is going to go awry like it has been Happening for a while now ...

I have the keyword "alternate states" in the back of my mind - would it be possible to make a selection on this one field affect just this one Chart, None of the others? (there are selection_boxes for the year, quarter, month, fiscal_year, fiscal_quarter, fiscal_month, week, weekday and day on each tab which should still affect every Chart equally)

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Okay,

I have tried several things now, to no avail up to now.

But now I think I have an idea - it's not ideal and it will take a while, but it's a possible way: Since I obviously Need this selection for this one Chart to work, I have to make all the other Charts - at least those which are not displayed when this is done - Independent of this selection. I can do that with set_Analysis. I hope this will work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

1: create alternate states ans use that field and chart in that state.

2:lock the field or always select one value for that alternate state list box for the filed.

3: may be hide it

regards

Pradosh

Learning never stops.
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi pradosh,

that seems easy enough - I'm afraid though that I cannot do that, based on what the Manual says about alternate states - when I set the object to that new "state_B", it would react only to listboxes which are in the same state - but then it would behave differently from the Charts in the other five "tiles" on this sheet which react to all those other listboxes I have (for various calendar_fields) - that one Chart would not react to those because they would all be in state "A" - or, no, I think there was something about having listboxes valid for all states ... I have never worked with that you see, it would have been too complicated for the People I used to develop things for ...

pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

what is the expression and dimesnion for  the chart we are talking about ? and what is the field that need to be selected for the chart to work ?

regards

Pradosh

Learning never stops.
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi pradosh,

sorry for the delay. I was busy Fixing other Points in the same Dashboard. So, about this Chart:

- It is a pie_chart

- The Dimension is the "cost Center"

- the Expression is a sum of a field which is labeled PAR_IST

- the one field that has to be selected for this to work, which seems to break all other Charts, is labeled

>> KSH_1_Name <<, a field that has only one value.

=> I guess it's because of the giant link_table in the datamodel that is actually taken via BINARY from another app, that one field is probably badly linked, I think that link_table and possibly others is/ are pretty messy.

But right now, I don't have the time to dive deep into the Generation of that link_table, I just want to make that Chart work along with all the others

There are a nr. of listboxes for year, month, week, day etc. which should affect this Chart just like all the others.

=> Can I take a listbox with just that one field and put it into another state and then tick "always one selected" or something?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

yes

that is  what i suggested.

use alternate state for list box and use the value for alternate state in the expression.

hopefully  it will work

regards

Pradosh

Learning never stops.
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hmmm ... I can do that, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

That's the tricky Thing: There is no mentioning whatsoever of that field in any of the Chart_properties. I will look again, maybe I missed something ...

P.S.: Yes, of course I did - it's even quite prominent: That Chart has four dimensions in a drill-down-Group, the first is KSH_1_Name, then Comes KSH_2_Name, KSH_3_Name and KST_Name (which are in a hierarchical Matrix of cost_Centers).

=> So if I create a copy of the field KSH_1_Name, that might be a solution - I doubt it, though ...

It worked in the very first Version of this Dashboard, about a month ago, so I can analyze what changed - but that would take a lot of time as the first Version was created by someone else, and I'm under some pressure to finish this ...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Okay,

I have tried several things now, to no avail up to now.

But now I think I have an idea - it's not ideal and it will take a while, but it's a possible way: Since I obviously Need this selection for this one Chart to work, I have to make all the other Charts - at least those which are not displayed when this is done - Independent of this selection. I can do that with set_Analysis. I hope this will work.