Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Average instead of sum in pivot table

Hi!

I've created a pivot table with som expressions which are represented as columns. Is it possible to show an avarage at the bottom of a columns instead of a partial sum?

10 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

On the expression tab of the properties screen change the Total Mode to Average of Rows. You can select Average in the combobox after you check the third radio button.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Total mode to Average is greyed I'm afraid...

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Pivot tables don't let you set the total mode unless it's something new in a more recent version (we're on v10).  You can do it by changing your column expressions like this:

avg(aggr(current column expression,dimension1,dimension2,...))

See the attached example.

Not applicable
Author

Works beautifully.

I know I'm getting greedy here, but any way to add the subtotal as well ? (i.e. have two columns on the right, one for avg and another for tot).

Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

Sorry to resurrect a super old thread here but this illustrates a very specific problem I'm having.  Can you *please* tell me why the number 49.13 should not be 52.39?

Why is the average of (78.50 + 38.00 + 40.67) / 3 *NOT* 52.39?

Am I reading this wrong?  I'm having the exact same "problem" with some partial totals in a pivot I'm working on....the bottom line partials aren't averaging properly, and this example is behaving the same way.  *Unless* I'm not reading how these should display properly?

Thanks SO much for your clarification!

shun_wong
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Derek,
In Johns solution, you cant really use the average of the subtotals for your final total. You should add up all the individual lines, and divide by the total number.

i.e. (72,85,30,23,61,7,31,84) / 8 =  49.125

Not applicable
Author

Hi Josh,

I'd like to know if there is a solution for when you want to display your dimmensions as columns and your expressions as rows, i.e., showing the average of each of your expressions in a column.

Thank you very much,

svenkita
Creator II
Creator II

Attached is a solution for having the totals in pivots as averages

I have used the Dimensionality() to do this

If(Dimensionality()=1,Avg(SALES), Sum(SALES))

pratap6699
Creator
Creator

what is dimensionality(),,,,,,will you explain something about that