Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Combining values from multiple dimensions in one axis

Hi everyone,

I am trying to combine the values from multiple dimensions into one single axis in a bar chart. I think it's easier to explain with an example.

Let's say I have a data model with the sales of a company, and among others, I have geographical dimensions (let's say province) and product dimensions (let's say article). I can create two different bar charts, showing the total sales split among the different provinces and another one showing the sales split among articles. But is there any way I can mix the values of the two dimensions in the same graph? I also need to sort all the values by expression, regardless of whether it is a province or an article. So, for instance, what I want, in a table chart, should look like:

Dimension - Sum(Sales)

Province A - 10000

Province X - 9500

Article B - 8900

Province M - 8500

Article Z - 8000

Article D - 7000

Province B - 6500

Thank you for your help.

20 Replies
sunny_talwar

Jagan what do you think about a Link Table here? Do you think that can work?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Attached is one way to do it without touching the data model since you don't want to do that. I used $Field as a hidden dimension in the chart, then picked the right field based on the value of $Field. I believe it could be easily extended to as many dimensions as you want to use.

Edit: There's no reason for the hidden dimension of $Field. That does nothing for us.

Dimension 1: $Field
Dimension 2: =pick(match($Field,'Article','Province'),[Article],[Province])
Expression: sum(Sales)

Capture.PNG

sunny_talwar

Amazing idea

I am glad you are back

Not applicable
Author

That was genius. It works like a charm. Thank you very much!

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

With link table also we can achieve.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Good idea john.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

johnw‌ How to create a list box for this new dimension for selection? I made a list box with same expression =pick(match($Field,'Article','Province'),[Article],[Province])

but when I select in this list box, the bar chart says 'no data to display'.

Please advise.

Thanks,

BR,

SAK  

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Sorry for being so incredibly slow to get back to this.

Seems like our basic problem is that "When using more than one field as base for a calculated field, the logical implications of selections in the base fields or the calculated field may be quite complex." Complex, sure, but without any further explanation of how QlikView decides what you're trying to do with the underlying fields, I'm reduced to trial and error. In any case, the expression I suggested picks a single value for the field you click on, and ALL values for the other field. That's fine if you only select in one or the other, but if you select any values from both, you get ALL values from both. Not good.

Maybe a month back, I tried hard to find a data model solution for this, and failed. I have quite a few applications where I do something exactly like this. In all of them, there's an island dimension that I load all the values from both fields into. Then I have macros fired that go back and forth, keeping the island dimension and the two real dimensions in sync. I hate that utterly inelegant solution. Converting to actions without macros wouldn't really be much better. I want to replace that solution. So I gave it a shot and failed.

We can move a little of the complexity into the script by building a Seq field with values 1 and 2. I wanted to use valueloop, but "Purely synthetic calculated fields created via the valuelist and valueloop functions are not permitted." Anyway, then we can use:

pick(Seq,Article,Province)

But that works no better in a list box. Same behavior as the original expression. So we're looking for an expression that produces the full list, and for which QlikView interprets selections as desired. I poked at it for about an hour, and wasn't able to come up with anything. Either what I did disconnected the list box entirely from the actual fields, or the selection behavior was the same as the original expression.

So the only practical way to do it that I know of at this time is triggered actions or triggered macros working on an island field that combines the values of both fields. I hope someone comes up with something better.

raju_salmon
Creator II
Creator II

Is there anyway we can have totals Articals (as line 4) and Province (last line) and if possible one empty row between both?

raju_salmon
Creator II
Creator II

Is there anyway we can have totals Articals (as line 4) and Province (last line) and if possible one empty row between both?