cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mla3eruva
Contributor III
Contributor III

Convert result of an expression into a constant for use in second expression

I'm trying to create a chart that shows the YTD expenses as a % of the total year's budget.  My data is such that for each month, I have that month's expenses; my budget is an annual budget which is reloaded each month and can change during the year.

We operate on a July fiscal calendar and are currently reporting for October so I want to show a chart that shows July Actuals as a % of the October Budget, August YTD as % of the October Budget, etc.  Next month, I want to use the November Budget as my denominator.

We're using a master calendar that has a PeriodType (Current, FYTD, and PJTD (running total) and an AsOfPeriod so that the user can go back to a point in time for reporting.

All of the set analysis of tried has failed.

I can get the running FYTD Actuals total with

sum({<PeriodType={'YTD'},AsOfPeriod=>}Actuals*[CY Flag])

2016-11-01_15-42-14.jpg

I can get the current Budget with

Sum({<PeriodType={'Current'},AsOfPeriod={"$(=max(AsOfPeriod))"}>}[Cost Budget]) but only for the current fiscal month (x-axis) that aligns with my AsOfPeriod

2016-11-01_15-43-45.jpg

I need to be able to evaluate the budget for the current AsOfPeriod (with other filter selections like department) applied, then use that as a constant in the denominator for my YTD % of budget spent calculation.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It sounds like you just need to ignore the x-axis. If so, you can do that with "total".

Sum({<PeriodType={'Current'},AsOfPeriod={"$(=max(AsOfPeriod))"}>} total [Cost Budget])

View solution in original post

3 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It sounds like you just need to ignore the x-axis. If so, you can do that with "total".

Sum({<PeriodType={'Current'},AsOfPeriod={"$(=max(AsOfPeriod))"}>} total [Cost Budget])

sunny_talwar

I think from what I understand, it seems that johnw‌ is right. You just need to see the same value (4) across all the months and TOTAL qualifier should be able to help you do that for your denominator. Read more about total qualifier here: What does the TOTAL qualifier do?

mla3eruva
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you both - that did it.