Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Create a single dimension from multiple fields

I am looking for a way to create a single dimension from 4 to 5 different fields that I am loading. For example, I have an area but each area is unique to the data that is being loaded for that area so that th data is not linking. Therefore, I would like to merge each of the area fields into a single dimension for use in my charts. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this one?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi, i think you are searching for this.

To have multiple fields as a single dimension name, here is the ex:

Dimension_Name:

Load * Inline [

Dimension_Name

field1

field2

field3];

Here the Dimension_Name holds the fields field1,field2 and field3.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not sure I understood the question, but to concatenate fields in a chart, you could make a calculated dimension like this:

FieldA & ' ' & FieldB & ' ' & FieldC & ' ' & FieldD

Not applicable
Author

I am not trying to concatonate. Instead, we are loading various "area" fields.

FieldName = Value

Area1_ID = 1

Area1_Description = Area1

Area2_ID = 2

Area2_Description = Area2

Area3_ID = 3

Area3_Description = Area3

Area4_ID = 4

Area4_Description = Area4

For other reasons, we are loading these separately and purposely trying not to link them or we would have just loaded them as Area_ID and Area_Description to contain them all. However, I need to setup a graph using the Area_Description as the dimension or x-axis. Adding all 4 areas as dimensions changes the chart. Therefore, I am wanting to group all the areas back together in the chart to appear as 1 dimension and still see all areas in the x-axis on the chart.

Is this possible?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

So all of these fields are on a single row on some table? You don't want to do a crosstable load, but you want some chart to behave as if you HAD done a crosstable load? If 'Area1', 'Area2', 'Area3' and 'Area4' are your intended X axis, what's your intended Y axis? Can you maybe post some example data, and what you want the resulting graph to look like?

Not applicable
Author

I have attached an example to show what I am trying to achieve. Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

Hi, i think you are searching for this.

To have multiple fields as a single dimension name, here is the ex:

Dimension_Name:

Load * Inline [

Dimension_Name

field1

field2

field3];

Here the Dimension_Name holds the fields field1,field2 and field3.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, this seems to be a working alternative right now.