Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document CAL Issue..Urgent replies please

Hello everyone,

I am new to QV,I have one quick question, Is this possible to use One Document CAL for one Document and unlimited no. of users can have access to that Document.?

is there any possibilty that one group of users can act like one user/group and acess that document with one document CAL???

regards,

Salman

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I've tried the same user multiple log-on thing and it just cuts out your previous session ... so quick answer unfortunately is no! 😞

You can only use doc CALs for multiple users if they all log in with the same NT id and don't do it at the same time!

Licencing costs = big downside of QlikView ...

Cheers,

Emma

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

and what if all users uses the same user name and try to open the same report at the same time? is this possible?

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

A DocCAL allows ONE user to access ONE application.  Therefore the only way to share a DocCAL amongst multiple users is to constantly reassign it in the QMC/QEMC.  Or if multiple users use the same NT account then they could all access the same application with a single licence, but not at the same time.

subin6600
Creator III
Creator III

No, a Document CAL can have only a single user at a given time.

In qlikview I believe we dont have any group functionality.

For the second question If same username could open the same document number of times- I am not sure.. but u could practically try and check it

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I've tried the same user multiple log-on thing and it just cuts out your previous session ... so quick answer unfortunately is no! 😞

You can only use doc CALs for multiple users if they all log in with the same NT id and don't do it at the same time!

Licencing costs = big downside of QlikView ...

Cheers,

Emma

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Emma - compared to any other solution on the market the licensing costs of QV are extremely competitive. Do you you really think £200 should buy an unlimited number of users the ability to access such a powerful solution!?

Not applicable
Author

No I don't ... DocCALs are not the licence I was refering to I I certainly wouldn't expect loads of access to a document for £200.  The comment was not properly clarified - apologies.

However ... have you seen Tableau?  FREE document reader to download, similar (but not as good for complex data sources) splice and dice in memory type analysis which can be added to websites etc. with no additional licences.  I know there will be other costs involved but if we've spent £21k (plus annual 20% fee) getting an enterprise server and £800 (+20%) for each named user or heaven help us gone down the amazingly expensive £8,250 (+20%) session CAL (consecutive but not concurrent users).

And if we want a test environment? +£10,560 (+20%)

And if we want to distribute reports? +£12,650 (+20%)

And if we want those reports to be in pdf? +£12,650 (+20%)

You want to use the extranet server? £12,375 (+20%)

session CAL for that? £1,875 (+20%) much more reasonable ... BUT you're only supposed to have 3 documents on that server ...

Sharepoint? +£2,530 (+20%) actually not too bad ... until you remember that of course, all the object you imbed need a licence as well, so if you have users on DocCALs you've got to put all the analysis into a single document that can make performance on your server suffer ... so then you need to upgrade your server ...

I know compared to some, QlikView might not be dreadful, but if you've read the Gartner magic quadrant report they have highlighted that the cost of larger scale implementations within companies can prove very costly and that this could well prove to be a limiting factor for QlikView in the future.  Initial download and trial - excellent, free; small scale implementation - not too bad; trying to expand across the company so that we can really utilise all the possibilities of what is an excellent tool ... too much. 

They have restructured the price in quite an interesting way.  You no longer have the £4.5k for a developer licence but equally you no longer have the very low cost Analyser (view only) licence.  It was the cost equivalent of the Document CAL but allowed you to view multiple documents.  Over a large scale it could still be quite costly but not as bad as it is now!

I certainly don't think £200 is a sensible value for unlimited use.  However, after all the setup and "support" costs that go along with an enterprise server setup, I feel that some of the licence and CAL costs can be prohibitive and difficult to justify.  This, sadly, limits the power one could get from the solution as you can find your wings clipped, which is massively frustrating.

This is obviously just my opinion so feel free to disagree. 🙂

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

An obviously well-thought-out opinion 🙂 Don't disagree with the individual points and I suppose my main comparison is to a similarly sized Business Objects environment. I would just say that I have found QlikTech an extremely understanding company to work with and will always try and find a suitable pricing arrangement.

Jason

Not applicable
Author

The thing is with Tableau you have to pay $2000 for what you get for free in QV.

With Tableau Reader you can only read analysis and if you want to be an author for free, you can only use not relational data sources, like Excel, txt, Access.

funny graphical comparision:

http://bilogic.pl/Blog/tabid/291/post/tableau-vs-qlikview---for-linkedin-bi-group/language/pl-PL/Def...