Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Green dots on the sheet tabs

It seems that when data is selected there are green dots that show up on the sheet object tab. That being said, they don't all have them even though they all have objects that are referencing the selected data.

Any idea why?

Thanks,
Dan

5 Replies
denwo2010
Creator
Creator

Yes I would like to know why this is as well? It will still filter the selection on that tab but it does not show as green?

Not applicable
Author

The green dot that appears in the tab, next to the Title of the sheet, is an indicator that one or more Field-Selections (filters) on that sheet are in effect. The dot appears for only tabs that are not currently active/open.

From the QlikView Help documentation:

Indicator

Indicators (or beacons) are colored dots that sometimes appear on tabs and in the right-hand corner of the status bar. Indicators are there simply to remind you of selections that have been made in fields that are not available on the sheet that you are currently viewing. Since all sheets of a QlikView document are fully interconnected at all times, such selections will most likely affect what is displayed on the active sheet - even when they are not immediately apparent! This is the main reason for having indicators.

I do disagree with the statement "all sheets are fully interconnected at all times". Take, for example, SheetA and SheetB, whose data are completely separate by a different data-clouds. They do not share the same set of fields, therefore they are not "interconnected" in this sense.

An easy way to see the green dot indicator is to copy one sheet to form a new one. In the example where SheetA and SheetB are both populated with non "Read Only" objects, if we...

1. select in SheetB one field

2. copy SheetB

2. rename it to SheetC

3. activate SheetC by clicking on the new tab

...the result is SheetB showing the green dot.

This is apparently telling us that, "hey, even though SheetB is no longer active, the field-selection there is still active and has carried over to SheetC".

Similiarly, if we now choose in SheetC a new value to filter on, the green dot in SheetB's tab is telling us that, "hey, even though SheetB is no longer active, you might want to know that your field-selection in SheetC is causing a filter to be in effect, in the background, at SheetB".

If we reactivate SheetB, the green dot disappears for SheetB, but now appears for SheetC. This gives the impression that the two tabs are "linked"... and in this case they are interconnected, by the columns they have in common, from the same data-cloud. But if we activate SheetA, all dots disappear, telling us "no related, lingering filters are in effect in the background".

If you wish to suppress this behavior, I am not aware of any settings to instruct QlikView to stop indicating that background field-selections are in effect. You do have two options, though, that might give you some control over field-selection, when you change activation from one sheet to another:

1. Modify the Sheet Properties and, in the Sheet Event Trigger, add an Action for the "OnLeaveSheet" event. Add "Selection!Clear All".  (The sheets are still "linked", by their common columns. As soon as you perform a new field-selection in one sheet, the green dot will appear in the other linked sheet.)

2. Move to a different data-cloud the data for the second sheet, by copying the data-load statements in the script, and giving alternative names to the set of columns. (The sheets are no longer "linked"; their field names are unique. Performing a field-selection in one sheet will not result in the green dot appearing in the other.)

Key words: Tabrow Green Dot Indicator Sheet Tab

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Steven. I am witnessing this behavior, as well. Very annoying.

I have a work-around.  You can create a second list box with the same field, and then set the conditional to something like 1=2. The green dot reappears when activating another tab.

Does anyone know the reason behind this behavior? Why does putting the list box inside a container change the green dot behavior?

Not applicable
Author

I just had an unexpected behavior as well with the green dot remaining lit on a tab when I clicked away to a different tab. Apparently one of my slicers was causing it to remain lit even though there was nothing selected on it. I tried the above suggestions and after some experimenting, I just renamed the data field on the QVW load script to a shorter name....replaced the slicer with the renamed field and that did the trick of getting rid of the annoying green light. Looks like some type of bug.