Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to: create custom field that selects elements within other fields

Hello,

I’m relatively new to Qlikview and I’d really appreciate your help with this matter. 

Suppose the following, I have a QVD file containing a large amount of sales data.

1. 1.     I already have a field containing a list of stores. For example: Small store 1, Small store 2, Big store 1, Medium store 1, Big store 2 and so on.
  2. 2.     What I want is to create a custom field that groups these stores into custom groups so the analysis is easier: Small stores, Big stores, Medium stores.

Is there any way to accomplish this without having to build the whole QVD file again?

Help is greatly appreciated, best regards!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

A QVD is just a data source,  you can enrich this data with other data, e.g. your new field.

For example, you can load another table with two columns, ListOfStores and CustomGroup, e.g. by loading an excel file, and then just use this as linked table to your table loaded from QVD or use a MAPPING approach to create a new field when loading your qvd.

MAP:

MAPPING LOAD

ListOfStores, Group

FROM YourExcel.xls

(...);

TABLE:

LOAD ListOfStores,

ApplyMap('MAP',ListOfStores, 'No Group found') as Group

FROM YourQVD.qvd (qvd);

View solution in original post

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

A QVD is just a data source,  you can enrich this data with other data, e.g. your new field.

For example, you can load another table with two columns, ListOfStores and CustomGroup, e.g. by loading an excel file, and then just use this as linked table to your table loaded from QVD or use a MAPPING approach to create a new field when loading your qvd.

MAP:

MAPPING LOAD

ListOfStores, Group

FROM YourExcel.xls

(...);

TABLE:

LOAD ListOfStores,

ApplyMap('MAP',ListOfStores, 'No Group found') as Group

FROM YourQVD.qvd (qvd);

ramasaisaksoft

Hi Guillermo,

The answer given by Swuehl is good with association.

If u want another way then try to create a Inline load with 2 fields

id,Store_Type

1,small,

2,Medium,

3,Big

So that u have a 3 type of stores

when u creating chart change the expression as per u r convenience.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot! Worked like a charm!!