Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Link Tables

I have a some tables with 10 million rows of data and I cant open the app on my pc. I can open it on the server where I have more processing power and memory. I ge the Allocation memory error when opening it on my pc and then it fails. I dont think I have an issue with my link table but I am not sure why the links go into the blue DOT and then the dot goes into the link table. I thought these paths should go straight to the Key on the link table. please look at my attached doc to see the DOT.

I normally use link tables and I want to verify what will give me the best results. Link table or One large FACT table. I didnt think there would be that much of difference but then I saw were Oleg had said that for larger apps, one table might be the best way to go.

Thanks in advance,

Troy

2 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

The blue dot is normal. It's just showing that all of your tables are linked by PolicyKey, including your LinkTable. Basically, to QlikView, there is nothing special about your LinkTable. It's just one of seven tables all sharing a PolicyKey.

Whether it's the right model for your data I don't know, but on the surface, knowing nothing about your data, it looks OK to me.

You could certainly try joining or concatenating into one table as appropriate. At least it would give you a point of comparison for performance and memory usage.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

From my experience, the one large fact table could take by more memory than the link table, but appears to be faster calculating the charts. How much more memory or how much faster probably depends on your data and how well you can design the one large fact table. You'll want to avoid creating different columns for every table.

You'll only know the exact differences in performance by creating the other data model. However, I'm not too optimistic that it's going to help you open the application in your PC. How much memory does the application use in the server? How much memory do you have in your PC? How many columns do you have in your tables of 10 million rows?

Regards.