Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Listbox for date slections

I am very new to QlikView

I need to have users make slection on 'Month' and 'Year' based on values from 'sell date'. The report should display all sales based on the selection period. My table doesn't have a separate field for 'Month' and 'Year'.

Should I create a separate table and store the year and Month values? because currently I don't have fields for 'month' and 'year'

6 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Yes, I would probably create a separate table with the sell date, month and year. These sorts of calendar tables are a very common solution.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Catherine,

you need not modify the original table. All you have to do is use the following syntax on load;

Month (Date Column Name) as Month,

Year (Date Column Name) as Year,

As long as your table is a recognizable date format it shouldn't be a problem. Then you are able to create seperate list boxes using the Month or Year fields.

The best way to learn these little tips and tricks is to look at the examples that QlikView provides you. There are some slick way of handling data in QlikView without modifying your originals.

Not applicable
Author

Thank You. How should I populate the 'Month' and 'Year' columns? The value in the Sell Date column format is '4/1/2008'.

Not applicable
Author

Cat,

Your SellDate format looks fine and QlikView should be able to recognize it. Your load statement for Month and Year should look like something below. QlikView will populate those date fields for you. So when you create the listbox just select the appopriate field for Year or Month. Another tip would be is to uncheck "Single Column" in the list properties under presentation - this way you can resize in a aesthetic manner. 😄

ODBC CONNECT TO [Excel Files;DBQ=C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\YSUN\DESKTOP\PRODUCTION.xls];
LOAD SellDate,
Month (SellDate) as Month,
Year (SellDate) as Year;
SQL SELECT *
FROM `C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\YSUN\DESKTOP\PRODUCTION.xls`.`Sheet1$`;

Not applicable
Author

Thank You !. The example files are not opening up. Is it available on the web?

Not applicable
Author

Cat,

http://demo.qlik.com/ -> you can download as a QlikView file and peruse as your hearts desire.

Also C:\Program Files\QlikView\Examples\Documents has some examples locally. (requires full install)