Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Month Order is in Ascending Need help to put it in month order

Hello,

I'm new to QV and my month list box is in ascending order. Is there an expression I can tell it to put in calendar month order?

Thanks,

Kehau

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

By ascending order, do you mean alphabetical order? If so, I'd change your definition of months. My months are usually defined like this:

date(monthstart(Date),'MMM YYYY') as Month

But a lot of people prefer to separate the Month from the year for year by year comparisons:

month(Date) as Month

Either way, they will sort in calendar month order instead of alphabetical. You probably COULD still sort them in alphabetical order, but calendar order should be the default. Actually, that's something simple you could check - the checkmark on the sort tab should be next to numeric, not alphabetical.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

By ascending order, do you mean alphabetical order? If so, I'd change your definition of months. My months are usually defined like this:

date(monthstart(Date),'MMM YYYY') as Month

But a lot of people prefer to separate the Month from the year for year by year comparisons:

month(Date) as Month

Either way, they will sort in calendar month order instead of alphabetical. You probably COULD still sort them in alphabetical order, but calendar order should be the default. Actually, that's something simple you could check - the checkmark on the sort tab should be next to numeric, not alphabetical.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you John I did mean alphabetical order and for the quick response. It worked now I want the months to read month name Jan, Feb, Mar and so forth do you know how I could change this?

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John I figured it out!

Not applicable
Author

go to sort, and mention month in sort by expression. month will be sorted in month wise order