cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QlikView Server: Selection reset because of "Clear All" action

Hello community,

I have a question concerning triggers and server reloads, have posted the problem yet as a comment in the "non-public" QlikBug forum (Re: Losing selections after reloading).

I post it now as a separate discussion in the public area, because I'm not sure, if it is really a bug or not and still hope that somebody knows a simple answer for this specific question.

For example the reload schedule time of a document is 5 minutes. I wanted to achieve a reset of the current selection every time a user changes the sheet. So I put a "Clear All On Activate Sheet" trigger on every sheet.

(The fact that I have to reset the selection when changing a sheet is not negotiable.)

The effect is that the QlikView Server (11.2 SR15, older QV11 versions react identically) resets every 5 minutes the current selection of every user . This is very annoying for the users (... and for me).

The cause is the trigger I mentioned. Without the trigger the selection doesn't change after a server reload.

If I use QlikView Desktop, then there's no reset after a manual reload. I don't know if it is a bug or a feature, but this is really annoying.

One solution I know meanwhile is hiding the tabrows and using buttons with triggers (change sheet, clear selection) instead.

When pressing the button, the selection will be cleared but not on reload. But this is very time-consuming, because you have to copy every button on every sheet. I also could use alternate states for every sheet but this  is also error-prone and time-consuming.

Does anybody know another solution?

(using QlikView 11.2 SR15, users have internet explorer in combination with ie plugin --> no ajax)

Regards

Robin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Hi Robin,

Could you simply apply the clear all to the OnLeaveSheet action instead?

That is assuming that is is currently on the activate sheet which is why the server is behaving as it is.

If it is clearing all and your action is on the onleavesheet then I would say this is a bug?

Also if you do go down the button route (which is what we do on 90% of our dashboards) then just set yourself up a template page and use linked objects, makes the whole process a lot less painful!

I.e. set up a tab called template and layout all your buttons as you want them

Copy them

Paste on to all the other sheets using the paste as linked object option

Then if you ever need to make any changes, you just tweak your template tab.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Hi Robin,

Could you simply apply the clear all to the OnLeaveSheet action instead?

That is assuming that is is currently on the activate sheet which is why the server is behaving as it is.

If it is clearing all and your action is on the onleavesheet then I would say this is a bug?

Also if you do go down the button route (which is what we do on 90% of our dashboards) then just set yourself up a template page and use linked objects, makes the whole process a lot less painful!

I.e. set up a tab called template and layout all your buttons as you want them

Copy them

Paste on to all the other sheets using the paste as linked object option

Then if you ever need to make any changes, you just tweak your template tab.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Adam, thanks for your answer.

I tried  the "clear on leave action" yet --> exactly the same behaviour...

(--> I certainly deleted the "clear all on activate sheet" - action before )

To be honest, I don't like the buttons as a tabrow replacement... using them is just exhausting for me...

I normally use buttons for clearing a certain selection or for complex and/or dynamic "select in field" actions.

All in all I think your idea (linked objects / template page) will be the best tradeoff, if there's no other solution.

Regards

Robin

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Hi Robin,

Hmm that does sound like a bug to me, especially if it doesn't do it when the action isn't there.

I was going to suggest that you look at the server settings within the document properties as this obviously also has an impact on how the new dashboard is pushed, but I don't think that will help.

I agree that the use of buttons can be tiring, but you can get some nice results if you use icons and text boxes, you can even produce submenus etc. We've found that on the whole our users prefer this method of navigation, its just the 'hardcore' users such as finance that would rather have tabs!

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

are you able to reproduce "my" problem?