Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Removing the * from a search field

QlikView Community,

I've been using QlikView for several months now and I consider myself pretty well versed in it's rules and abilities. I am attempting to do something simple that has evaded me and decided to post the question here, hoping one of you can help me out.

I have a search box on my dashboard that searches for an account number that is four to five digits. I want the users to put the number in and press enter in order to view that account. The issue is, occasionally when they are selecting a four digit account (1234) and press enter, no results will appear because my program requires that only one account be selected. They intuitively believe just typing in the account number and pressing enter will work, but unfortunately it also selects accounts like (12345) or (51234).

The only feasible why I can see to stop this, is to remove the asterisks from the search field. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

2 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not aware of a direct way. And generally speaking, I would prefer to train users in how QlikView works, not modify QlikView to behave the way the users expect, because then I'm adding extra maintenance work (and extra possibility of bugs) for that application and every future application, at least if I want to keep my interface consistent. All the user has to do in this case is manually delete the asterisks. It's an annoying extra step, yes, but probably MOST of the time when people are using a search box, they're not looking for a specific value, they're searching for values matching a pattern.

That said, YES, I think you can do what you want in an indirect way. Consider using an input box instead of a search box. Create a variable and an input box for that variable. Trigger an action OnInput of that variable that does a select in your account field of the value in the variable. They could probably type in asterisks manually for something more like the normal search box, but they wouldn't appear by default, so the default behavior would be to select the exact account number they typed. That sounds to me like what you're looking for?

Not applicable
Author

Dear Sir,

i'm a big follower of ur posts.& everything u post is very important for me & highly informative.

Actually i've a search box in my application wich is made to search in all the fields.bt it is not showing the desired result....when i search for a string say '*abc*' in the box..then in a particular field/column in my table named say X, i get only 3 matching results wich is actually 26 values in the original Database i'm extracting from......

& when i use a where clause as: where wildmatch(X,'*abc%*) then i get 24 distinct values....

I dnt know what to modiy where.& yes, i've snapsh date in my application as well.....wich takes a daily snapshot of the data & adds it to the current data..does it have anything to do with it..

i'm stuck wid it for 2 days.....plz help

Regards