Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Set Analysis Help

Hello All. Pardon me if I go about this the wrong way, but this is my first discussion on QC. I'm brand new to QV and I'm trying to create a set analysis statement that will do the following:

Sum the current fiscal year sales where the two previous years did not have sales taking into account current selections. I have a variable called "FiscalCurrentYear" so I've been using "$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 2)" and "$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 1)" for the two previous years.

This is as far as I've gotten:

Sum({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(FiscalCurrentYear)} -

P({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 1),$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 2)},[Sales Amount]={"<=0"}>}[Sales Amount])>}[Sales Amount])

...which isn't working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Ok. I've finally got it worked out. I was able to create the "New Business" field with the following:

Sum(

// Get all accounts from the entire current fiscal year

{$<[Ship To] = p({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(FiscalCurrentYear)}, Month={"*"}, [Sales Catalog Sub Section] = {"*"}>}[Ship To]) -

// Remove records that have sales from the previous year

p({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear-1)}, Month={"*"}, [Sales Catalog Sub Section] = {"*"}>}[Ship To]) -

// Remove record that have sale from the year before that

p({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear-2)}, Month={"*"}, [Sales Catalog Sub Section] = {"*"}>}[Ship To])

>} [Sales Amount])

This gives me the correct roll-up values at all levels of the drill down table. Hopefully this may help someone in the future. Thanks to those that did reply.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
sushil353
Master II
Master II

Hi,

Try this:

sum({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(FiscalCurrentYear) - 2},[Sales Amount]={"<=0"}>} [Sales Amount])

or

sum({$<[Fiscal Year]={"$(FiscalCurrentYear) - 2"},[Sales Amount]={"<=0"}>} [Sales Amount])

I am assuming here the value of FiscalCurrentYear has values like 2011, 2012...

also please have a look on [Sales Amount]={"<=0"} what is the use of summing up sales amount where it is less than equal to zero...??

it should be :  [Sales Amount]={">=0"}

HTH

Sushil

Not applicable
Author

Hi Shushil, thank you for your reply. Unforutanely, what you propose won't get what I need. What I'm trying to show is "new business". In other words sales that didn't exist in the two years prior. So, lets say a user has a state selected and a product. I would need to see the sum sales that exist for the current fiscal year ONLY if there weren't any sales for the two prior years (i.e. FY11 = $0, FY12 = $0, FY13 = $1000) for that state and product. Does that make sense? Also, the <=0 was for any negative sales; in some case there may have been credits issued.

I hope I'm explaining that correctly. I believe the use of the p() function is what I need to use in my statement, but I'm not sure how yet. It's the weekend, I haven't put a lot of time in it

Not applicable
Author

I know this syntax isn't correct, but this is basically what I'm trying to accomplish:

sum(({<[Fiscal Year]={$(FiscalCurrentYear)},

[Sales Amount] = p({<(Year={$(FiscalCurrentYear - 1) AND [Sales Amount] = 0) AND (Year={$(FiscalCurrentYear - 2) AND [Sales Amount] = 0)} [Sales Amount]>}) [Sales Amount])

So, the sum of sales that in the previous two fiscal years were zero.

This is going to take help from someone smarter than me; Anyone?

Not applicable
Author

I'VE ALMOST GOT IT! Only problem left is that I have a drill down table that drills from Month to Sales Territory to Product. I'm only seeing my expression work at the Product level and not the two upper levels. WHY? Here's my expression:

Sum({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(FiscalCurrentYear)},

Product=E({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 1)}> + $<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 2)}>}Product)>}[Sales Amount])

Someone please help so I can move on!

johnpaul
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

What do you see at the upper levels?

Perhaps post a diagram of your data model, or a sample app.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply John. I get only zero values at the upper levels where I would expect to see the sum of the lower levels. Unfortunately, I can't share the file as it's company sensitive. Below are some screen shots:

Top level (Month):

Capture2.PNG

Drill Down to second level of August:

Capture1.PNG

Drill down into one of the territories:

Capture.PNG

Not applicable
Author

I'm dying here guys. This is my third day on this. Any help please??!!

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Kindly upload the qvw file with sample data and expected output.

This will give clear idea to understand your problem.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Okay, I think I can at least see what the problem is. What I think is happening is that at the sales territory and higher level, your expression is taking account of things across sales category sub sections. In short, because not all sub sections summed to 0 in 2011 and 2012, the 'new business' is 0.

I'm not quite sure what to do about it exactly... I'd probably start with rangesum(

Product=E({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 1)}> + $<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 2)}>}Product)*Product={'A'}>}[Sales Amount]),

Product=E({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 1)}> + $<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 2)}>}Product)*Product={'B'}>}[Sales Amount]),

Product=E({$<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 1)}> + $<[Fiscal Year]={$(=FiscalCurrentYear - 2)}>}Product)*Product={'C'}>}[Sales Amount]),

etc.)