Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turn columns into rows

Hello,

I have done the below before but I can't remember the right load-script code to do it so I hope someone can help me 🙂

This is an example of a base table I have:

DateCountryScore AScore B
01/01/2016Belgium1020
01/01/2016France1020

Would need to be converted to this:

DateCountryDimensionValues
01/01/2016BelgiumScore A10
01/01/2016BelgiumScore B20
01/01/2016FranceScore A10
01/01/2016FranceScore B20

If I recall well, I had to set a certain cut-off point in my load script, stating the number of columns to take into account "as-is", after which all trailing columns would be considered new values, instead of columns.

Any clue would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Kind regards,

Christophe

3 Replies
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Looks like a crosstable:

Crosstable

The crosstable  prefix is used to turn a cross table into a straight table, that is, a wide table with many columns is turned into a tall table, with the column headings being placed into a single attribute column.

Syntax:

crosstable (attribute field name, data field name [ , n ] ) ( loadstatement | selectstatement )  

Arguments:

ArgumentDescription
attribute field name   The field that contains the attribute values.
data field name  

The field that contains the data values.

n  

The number of qualifier fields preceding the table to be transformed to generic form. Default is 1.

A crosstable is a common type of table featuring a matrix of values between two or more orthogonal lists of header data, of which one is used as column headers. A typical example could be to have one column per month. The result of the crosstable prefix is that the column headers (for example month names) will be stored in one field, the attribute field, and the column data (month numbers) will be stored in a second field: the data field.

Example:

Crosstable (Month, Sales, 2) LOAD * INLINE[

Person, Location, Jan, Feb, Mar

Bob, London, 100, 200, 300

Kate, New York, 400, 500, 600

];

Result:  

Person, Location,Month,Sales
Bob,London,Jan,100
Bob,London,Feb,200
Bob,London,Mar,300
Kate,New York,Jan,400
Kate,New York,Feb,500
Kate,New York,Mar,600

Crosstable wizard

The crosstable wizard is dialog driven method of creating the crosstable statement. This dialog is opened by clicking the Crosstable  button in the Options page of the File Wizard. The crosstable wizard contains the following options:

Qualifier FieldsThe number of qualifier fields that precede the fields to be transformed.
Attribute FieldThe name of the new field that will contain all the fields (attribute values) to be transformed.
Data FieldThe name of the new field that will contain the data of the attribute values.
Not applicable
Author

use Crosstable

Temp:

Load * Inline [

Date, Country, Score A, Score B

01/01/2016, Belgium, 10, 20

01/01/2016, France, 10, 20

];

Final:

CrossTable(Dimension, Values, 2)

Load *

Resident Temp;

Drop table Temp;

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks guys, this was indeed the syntax I was looking for !!!