Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marko_rakar
Creator
Creator

Using multimple "rename fields using" problem

Hi

I have something I believed is very simple; I am trying to load a number of tables (50+) and do field mapping for them and then save them into appropriate qvd files for further processing

I have used and modified code found here:

For loading maps:

For each vFileName in Filelist ('C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxxxxx\*_opis.txt');

let vFileName1 = SubField(SubField('$(vFileName)', '\', 9), '_', 1) & '_map';

let vFileName2 = SubField(SubField('$(vFileName)', '\', 9), '_', 1);

qualify *;

$(vFileName1):

mapping

Load

'$(vFileName2).@' & text( RecNo()) as @1,   

@1 as @2

From [$(vFileName)] (txt, codepage is 1250, no labels, delimiter is ':', msq);

Next vFileName

For loading data:

For each sFileName in Filelist ('C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\*_unl.txt')

let sFileName1 = SubField(SubField('$(sFileName)', '\', 9), '_', 1);

let sFileName2 = sFileName1 & '_map';

$(sFileName1):

Load *

From [$(sFileName)] (txt, codepage is 1250, no labels, delimiter is ':', msq);

RENAME Fields using $(sFileName2);

Next sFileName

The interesting thing is this: when I do reload, all maps are loaded correctly and data is loaded correctly BUT mapping is loaded correctly only for some fields and not for all.

I am confused why is this happening since field map is generated on the fly while loading and should be exactly the same.

Now, some fields in my databases overlap (keys) and I figured out that when one of my imports use field map for the first time then it is ok, but all subsequent occurances of the same field name will result in a failed field map.

If I name all fields to be unique (simulate qualify statement in field names) then import works out ok. This is the code I added to my mapping load (instead of the line I wrote above):

'$(vFileName2).@' & @1 as @2

My question is following: is this normal behaviour or I have stumbled upon a bug?

2 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

I see you have a qualify statement for the map loading, and not for the data load. I see that your logic needs the qualify on the data load, and not on the mapping load.

Also, you cannot map rename the fields into fieldnames that already exist, so doing the rename in the loop may be a problem (if the target field name was remapped on the last pass, the next rename to that target will fail) . Have you tried doing the remapping after the loop?

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
marko_rakar
Creator
Creator
Author

when I added my "simulation" of qualify for field names from that point on everything worked

it is just interesting that I have hit this limitation of rename fields function which was not obvious, so this post was more as a written word that somewhere, someone had that problem before and how it was solved .)