Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What do you do if a report REFUSES to open???

Extreme frustration on my end...

My QV report is only about 4.2MB and is only pulling data from a single text file. However, it REFUSES to open. The screen is white and blank and QV shows as "Not Responded" and in the mean time, is eating up 1.35MB of RAM on my laptop trying to open.

What do you think the issues could be? Do I have any other choice but to delete the file and start from scratch? Though the report isn't big, a lot of time when into designing the charts and performance metrics.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

If you have the chance try to open on another machine, which has more RAM - but I doubt, if the load without data does not work. Within QV you may under User-Preferences -> Save click on Backup and there you may select the last number of versions, which are to be kept (For the next time)

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

This file should be listed in the opening-screen of QV under "Recently Opened Documents". If you move the mouse over the file-name, you may rightclick and choose the option "Open xxx without data". This will load the application, but without any data. You may then manipulate the faulty application, massy detail-reports being open or review the script.

HTH
Peter

Not applicable
Author

I tried that and it did not work - it is still doing the same thing. (Other QV reports do work properly...)

prieper
Master II
Master II

Then it is always good to have a backup - have you? Big Smile

Peter

Not applicable
Author

aaaaah...nope. I guess I should get in the habit of that!

Looks like I'll be starting this one again from scratch (...unless there is a way to restore a previous version..?)

prieper
Master II
Master II

If you have the chance try to open on another machine, which has more RAM - but I doubt, if the load without data does not work. Within QV you may under User-Preferences -> Save click on Backup and there you may select the last number of versions, which are to be kept (For the next time)

Peter

Not applicable
Author

I'll chalk it up to a learning experience...thanks for the tip!

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I wish I had an answer for you. In several years of QlikView development, I've twice had cases where it appeared that the file had become corrupted. I've definitely gotten in the habit of making backups, though not as often as I should. I also have the automatic backups turned on, though I think in both of those cases I'd recognized the problem too late and had the same problem in all of the automatic backups. Hopefully it isn't actually corrupted in your case, and someone will come up with a way to recover it.