Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriscools
Creator II
Creator II

date dimension showing only today

Hello,

i have a pivot table where date is the dimension and several calculated fields behind it.

i want to show this pivot table completely on one page, but on another page, i want to  show the same pivot table, but allways only the values of today.

i think this means that i have to include a "calculated dimension" instead of my normal "date" dimension.

i tried with :

date = date() or date = today

but this doesn't work.

is my syntax wrong?

or is my whole approach wrong?

Can anyone help me with this?

thanx!

chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Dates are internally represented as the number of days since December 30 1899, so you add days by just adding an integer.  So then you can check a range something like this:

if( [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]>=today()
AND [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]<=today()+10
   ,[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM])

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Not applicable

Hi,

As You wrote You have to make Your calculated dimension.

In my very simple example I've done it like this: =aggr(if(FieldA = today(), FieldA), ID)

I have only 2 columns ID and FieldA with the Date.

The solution can also depend on Your date format and so on.

Regards

wojciechg

chriscools
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello,

thank you for your answer!

but i can't make it work:

i have this :

=Aggr ( if ( [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM] = Today() , [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]))

and it says that there is an error in the expression.

i can't open your example, because i'm working with the free test version... 😞

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

This should work:

=aggr(if([VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]=today(),[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]),[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM])

But if you don't need an aggregation function, I don't think you need the aggr().  So maybe this if I'm right:

=if([VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]=today(),[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM])

Not applicable

Hi,

Basically after this if function, after comma You have to point on which diemension You're agregating.

In my example from file I had data:

FieldA:          ID:

2011-07-01    1

2011-07-02    2

2011-07-03    3

And I done the agregation like in my @ above:

In You example the dimension is missing. Unfortunetaly I do not have You file, but please try this:

=Aggr ( if ( [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM] = Today() , [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]), [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM])

hope that helps!

regards,

wojciechg

chriscools
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello,

thank you all very much!!!

for some reason the aggr function does not work, i allways get an error then.

but the  "=if([VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]=today(),[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM])"

works fine.

how should i proceed if i want to show not only today but every day between today and the next 10 days?

grtz

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Dates are internally represented as the number of days since December 30 1899, so you add days by just adding an integer.  So then you can check a range something like this:

if( [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]>=today()
AND [VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]<=today()+10
   ,[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM])

chriscools
Creator II
Creator II
Author

thank you very much!

grtz

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I should probably mention that if you have a lot of data, I would expect this calculated dimension approach to perform poorly.  A better choice in that case might be to limit the values using set analysis and just use VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM as the dimension.  Set analysis is applied to expressions instead of dimensions.  So let's say your pivot table has these expressions:

sum(Revenue)
sum(Cost)

Set analysis is applied separately to each, so you'd need to use the same set analysis expression in each.  I think this:

sum({<[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]*={">=$(=today())<=$(=date(today()+10))"}>} Revenue)
sum({<[VOORZIENE_LEVERINGSDATUM]*={">=$(=today())<=$(=date(today()+10))"}>} Cost)

While you're not specifically restricting the dimension this way, the set analysis makes certain that you calculate nulls for dates that you aren't interested in.  They are then suppressed automatically.

chriscools
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hey John,

thanx for the extra explanation!

set analysis should work faster then?

and then i get to use the [voorziene_leveringsdatum] as a normal dimension then?

i should look up the semantic for this set analysis, because with all the symbols its not very clear to me.

and with this set analysis i can also take multiple restrictions into consideration?

for example the dates between today and  + 10 and exclude for example values "saterday" and "sunday" in a "dayname"-field?

grtz