Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Word Cloud Object Extension

A new app for the US Presidential election is being released on the QlikView Demo Site shortly, and it contains an extension for a word cloud that might be useful.  It's built using this word cloud generation javascript library (built on the d3 JS library) which attempted to simulate the look and feel of Wordle:

cloud.png

I don't use all of the options available in this library and keep it pretty bare bones, but I imagine this extension should satisfy most use cases.

The properties are fairly straightforward:

cloudprops.png

The Words dimension is simply the list of words that will be displayed in the cloud

Measurement is an expression which controls the sizes of the words.  This could be anything you'd like to measure the words against.

Color Expression is the expression which controls the color of the words.  If you simply want one color, you could hardcode it to a hex or RGB color, or you could use an expression and mix two colors (using the ColorMix1 function from QlikView), or use the expression like a gauge and present any number of colors based on some range.

The Maximum Font Size and Minimum Font Size properties are simply the maximum and minimum sizes of the words.

SOME THINGS TO NOTE:

The cloud can be a bit unwieldly (or maybe crash) if you pass too many words into it, so I've set a maximum data set of 700 for this extension.  To change this, edit the Definition.xml file in the extension's folder and change 700 to whatever you want in this line:

<ExtensionObject Label="wordCloud" Description="wordCloud" PageHeight="700">

The only issue this might cause is if you have 1000 words in the dimension, a random selection of 700 will be passed in, in no particular order.  I've tried and tried to get the extension to sort based on the expression rather than the dimension and I think it's not possible (which may be a bug), so instead returning the top x number of words based on an expression might need to be done using set analysis, firstsortvalue, or ranking function.

I think that's it.  Let me know if you run into any problems.

EDIT

I now host this extension on GitHub. 

brianwmunz/wordCloud-QV11 · GitHub

Please download it from there form now on.  Also, feel free to update, change, improve, etc. the extension in any way you please using GitHub.

Thanks.

93 Replies
agilos_mla
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Brian,

I encounter an error script when drag and drop the extension object in Desktop (11SR2 x64 windows7)

Please find attached pop-up screenshot.

Rgds,

Michael.

hps
Employee
Employee

Same error here on QlikView 11 SR1.

Regards,

Hampus

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

Hmm it works fine for me. What version of IE are you running on your computer?

hps
Employee
Employee

I get it inside Qv.exe in webview when opening a document and adding extension object in webview.

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

Webview uses Internet Explorer to run. Do you know which version you have installed?

hps
Employee
Employee

IE 9.0.10 running with Win 7

agilos_mla
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I'am running IE 9 (version9.0.10 x64 KB2744842) . Indeed it might be due to a windows upgrade or the 11sr2 since the error is in the QvAjax.js...

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

No it's strange because I'm running IE9 on SR 2 also. Maybe I uploaded an old version of the extension or something. I'll try another version later today.

agilos_mla
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Seems to run fine on IE 9, W2K8 but SR1