Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Combining values from multiple dimensions in one axis

Hi everyone,

I am trying to combine the values from multiple dimensions into one single axis in a bar chart. I think it's easier to explain with an example.

Let's say I have a data model with the sales of a company, and among others, I have geographical dimensions (let's say province) and product dimensions (let's say article). I can create two different bar charts, showing the total sales split among the different provinces and another one showing the sales split among articles. But is there any way I can mix the values of the two dimensions in the same graph? I also need to sort all the values by expression, regardless of whether it is a province or an article. So, for instance, what I want, in a table chart, should look like:

Dimension - Sum(Sales)

Province A - 10000

Province X - 9500

Article B - 8900

Province M - 8500

Article Z - 8000

Article D - 7000

Province B - 6500

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Attached is one way to do it without touching the data model since you don't want to do that. I used $Field as a hidden dimension in the chart, then picked the right field based on the value of $Field. I believe it could be easily extended to as many dimensions as you want to use.

Edit: There's no reason for the hidden dimension of $Field. That does nothing for us.

Dimension 1: $Field
Dimension 2: =pick(match($Field,'Article','Province'),[Article],[Province])
Expression: sum(Sales)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

20 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be use a calculated dimension or combine the two in the script:

LOAD Province & ' ' & Product as TableDim

or a calculated dimension

Province & ' ' & Product

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Unfortunately this doesn't work. This system establishes a relationship between the two dimensions, and what I want is the values to be completely independent. What you suggest here would return something like this:

Dimension - Sum(Sales)

Province A Article A- 1000

Province X Article B- 950

Province Z Article B - 890

Province M Article M - 800

Province M Article Z - 800

Province A Article D - 700

Province B Article Z- 650

Not exactly what I need, which is:

Dimension - Sum(Sales)

Province A - 10000

Province X - 9500

Article B - 8900

Province M - 8500

Article Z - 8000

Article D - 7000

Province B - 6500

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Create one more additional dimension in your script by using

Data:

LOAD

Province & ' ' & Product as NewDimension

FROM DataSource;

Now use NewDimension field in the chart.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thank you for your reply but this throws the same results as the previous answer. Not exactly what I'm looking for, as I explained in the previous message.

Cheers,

Ignasi.

sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share some raw data behind the output you are expecting to see. I am not sure how the data is structured and that is why wasn't sure what you wanted.

Not applicable
Author

The data is complex but for the sake of simplicity please assume we have the following input:

Sample.png

My desired output table would look like:

Dimension ... Sum(Sales)

Province 2 ... 120

Article C ... 110

Province 1 ... 90

Article B ... 70

Article A ... 30

I hope this example helps understand what I'm trying to achieve. The real scenario is more complex, with more than two dimensions and several tables involved, but if someone can help me work out this simple example, I guess I can apply the same method to a bigger scenario.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

You have to try like this using Concatenate

Data:

LOAD

Article AS Dimension,

Sales

FROM DataSource;

Concatenate(Data)

LOAD

Province AS Dimension,

Sales

FROM DataSource;

Now use Dimension field as dimension in your chart.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

The problem is that the real scenario has a lot more dimensions, and I was trying to avoid using only one field in the script - that would be really bad for other purposes of the model. So my question is if there is any way I can do this without merging all the dimensions into one in the script load.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think it is not possible without merging into a single field.

Regards,

Jagan.