Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

How to read QVD stored on windows share?

There has to be a really simple answer to this... but I just cannot get it to work.

- I create a QVD on server A, and store it in a folder that is shared as a standard, hidden Windows share.

- I then want to access (read) that QVD from server B.

I have tried mapping the share on server B, making available as a local drive (e.g. Z:).

The error message given by Sense 1.0 is "LOAD statement only works with lib:// paths in this script mode", which doesn't really tell me much. Nothing to be found in Sense help (at least I haven't found anything).

I've tried using a UNC path in the load statement on server B, i.e. Load <fields> from \\server\share\directory\file.qvd

No luck.

What's a lib:// path in this context?

Any pointers to how this should be done in Sense?

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Goran - just a note - if you are using the Qlik Sense Platform - and not Qlik Sense Desktop - you need to make sure that the user account that is running the Qlik Sense services - has access to the network share.

I cover that in this video here:

Qlik Sense Platform - Create Your First App - Part 2 - Creating Data Connections

Let us know how you do

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

13 Replies
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Found it - sort of

Seems the data connector cannot use mapped drives (Z: in this example) or UNC paths to folders.

By design or a bug - not sure.

Kind of limiting not being able to read files from other servers though..

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
Giuseppe_Novello

Goran,

Check the following link that might help you:

https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-US/online/index.html#../Subsystems/WorkingWith/Content/LoadData/Conne...New to Qlik

Look the videos on data loading:

Sense Videos

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Yup, those are the instructions I have followed.

UNC paths are supposed to work, but it seems they don't.

Have tried setting up new shares on server A, with fully open access rights, Sense still cannot map them

Giuseppe_Novello

Goran,

Okay I just tested and it works, here is to create the path but it seems UNC would work better:https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-US/online/index.html#../Subsystems/WorkingWith/Content/LoadData/Folde...

the loading a QVD file:https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-US/online/index.html#../Subsystems/WorkingWith/Content/LoadData/Selec...

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Strange... UNC paths isn't really anything new, used them countless times... so why aren't these working?

Very strange.

Not applicable

Type the server address and not the server name, in the UNC

Ex: \\19x.xxx.xxx.xxx\share\file.qvd

pbr
Employee
Employee

What does the script look like? There might be something else that isn't allowing it?

You can see the QVDs in the Data Connections on the right if you hit the icon next to the pencil (with the check mark)?

I tested on a mapped drive to another server and was fine pulling in a QVD.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Goran - just a note - if you are using the Qlik Sense Platform - and not Qlik Sense Desktop - you need to make sure that the user account that is running the Qlik Sense services - has access to the network share.

I cover that in this video here:

Qlik Sense Platform - Create Your First App - Part 2 - Creating Data Connections

Let us know how you do

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Fwiw, here's a late, late reply... This was resolved the same day the previous posts were written, lost in inbox since..

Yup, that was it. I was totally sure I had given the Qlik Sense server user rights to the windows share in question, but I guess I must have missed pressing the Apply button... Once I did everything worked as it should, of course.