Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stoo1892
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlik Sense & Sharepoint O365 - Getting started

Hi

We've had a request to facilitate users getting conencted to Sharepoint to pull files and file contents from it.

After an hour going round in circles, i thought i'd best ask the question.

We're on August 2022 p17 at the moment.  We have Web Connectors set up but unused, but can also see the Sharepoint and OneDrive options within the QS connectors.
The latter, we got the encryption error - so I know I need to look in to creating the encryption key.  Fair enough.

Do we still need WebConnectors set up if we explore the Sharepoint connector path?
Beyond the encryption key, do I need to do any work in Sharepoint Admin, REST or Azure APIs and the like?  Really found mixed signals on this one.

I've probably got a load more questions which will stem from this!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

7 Replies
steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

What do you mean by "we got the encryption error"? Can you post a screenshot of what you're trying to do and the result?

You no longer need Qlik Web Connectors. That was mandatory when there were no built-in connectors. Nowadays, you can simply use the built-in Office 365 SharePoint connector:

steeefan_0-1721286969161.png

This is the whole setup:

1. Enter your SharePoint 365 base URL
  2. Enter the site you want to get data from
  3. Click Authenticate
    1. In the window that opens, login using your user or preferrably a system user
    2. Copy the code and enter it in the form now showing
  4. Click "Test connection"
  5. Click "Create"

That should be it. What happens when you follow these instructions?

I also discussed the whole topic at length in "Error while create a new connection (office 365 Sharepoint Metadata)". Maybe you find it helpful.

Stoo1892
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks @steeefan 

Apologies, i've been on leave and haven't seen this reply until now.

The encryption error i alluded to was “ENCRYPTION_KEY_MISSING”.

This is why i mentioned it was to get started. 
I'd seen that we need to set up up an encrypition key and seen there were a few articles on it so hoping that'll be relatively straight forward. If that is still needed of course.
I was also curious as to what type of account i should use to verify the connection between the two.  A Sharepoint admin might be over the top and it would be a generic account as we couldn't give the Qlik users such access, i don't believe.

Thanks for the reply, i've passed that on to those that create the connectors to see what they say.  But I presume i'll get a reply regarding the Encryption key again.

Stu

Stoo1892
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Creating the encryption key - Would it require any downtime?
I'm working my way through some instructions, including your post.

I just don't want to jeopardise anything that's in place already without a fallback option.

We have some pretty tight change controls.

Thanks

steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

Same here, just back from vacation.

I was also curious as to what type of account i should use to verify the connection between the two.
Don't use a SharePoint admin. We use our functional Qlik user which then gets access rights granted whenever a new SharePoint folder or list needs to be read.

Creating the encryption key - Would it require any downtime?
No.

Stoo1892
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

So, while it's not an admin, a Qlik account (possibly service account) is really going to need to be at the top of any folder structure and inherited by any subsequent child folders?

It would also need some form of 365 licence to authenticate, wouldn't it?

steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

We just grant folder-by-folder or site-by-site access for the Qlik service user whenever a business user needs SharePoint data read from a new location that was not in scope before. That user would also need to be a proper Microsoft 365 user.

Stoo1892
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That's a great help.  Thank you, @steeefan

I'm sure i'll be back in touch soon!