Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davwade1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Session Inactivity Timeout - Is there a downside to making it more than 30 minutes?

Some users have asked me to increase the session timeout to make it longer than 30 minutes. We are using Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows so I do have that option.

Before I make any changes I was hoping someone would be able to tell me the downside of making the timeout more than 30 minutes. I assume Qlik set this for a specific reason but I have not been able to find any posts or knowledge articles explaining why.

Thanks,

David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

If you change the timeout it means that the system might consume more recourses, mostly more RAM.

Apps are not unloaded in memory until all sessions are closed + the application timeout.

So making the timeout longer might keep apps in memory longer.

Also there are also memory consumption to keep the information about the session.

But if you have few Apps that are used by many people the apps are probably in memory anyway so shouldn't make a big difference.

In the end all QlikSense setups are different and you have to  test what works best for you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

If you change the timeout it means that the system might consume more recourses, mostly more RAM.

Apps are not unloaded in memory until all sessions are closed + the application timeout.

So making the timeout longer might keep apps in memory longer.

Also there are also memory consumption to keep the information about the session.

But if you have few Apps that are used by many people the apps are probably in memory anyway so shouldn't make a big difference.

In the end all QlikSense setups are different and you have to  test what works best for you.

davwade1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks very much for the explanation, that makes perfect sense. I think I will increase the timeout from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. Right now our max RAM hits about 86GB each day and the system has a total of 124GB. I will be sure to monitor the max RAM to ensure it does not get near the total available.

Thanks