Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitk1609
Master
Master

What if, I don't restore the backup certificates

Hi Techies,

I had Qlik Sense 3.2.4 version in my machine and I took the backup of certificates, PG DB and Qlik Apps and contents. Now I have installed Qlik Sense June 2017 , but when it got installed, certificates generated automatically and with restoring the certificates , I have restored PGDB  and apps.

My Question is what will happen, if I don't restore the certificates ?

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies
balabhaskarqlik

Certificates for the Qlik Sense services: The certificates are used to encrypt the traffic between the Qlik Sense services and the users. Make sure to backup the certificates in order not to lose any encrypted data (for example, passwords for data connections).

Link:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/1.0/Subsystems/Server_deployment_and_configuration/Content/Qlik%20...

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

What if I don't restore the backup certificates, do my services not run by user ?

balabhaskarqlik

It may / may not, if we loose some encrypted data to connections you've to recheck that later. You may face issues in some areas.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Rohit,

Actually you dont need to restore the certificates again because with new install the new certificates are  installed on your machine.

If your machine name (Host Name) is not changed then the certificates which got installed are same as your backed up certificate.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

Thanks Kaushik,

This is exactly I want to listen!

If host name of machine got changed or I am restoring on some other machine then , when I install new certificate will be generated there, so do I need to delete them, rename the back up certificates and then restore ?

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Rohit,

Even when you install on other machine or the machine name (Host Name) has changed, your earlier (Backed Up) certificate will not work because it is with the old host name, so in either case you dont need to restore the certificate.

Hope its clear.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

One last question, why qlik help page has this step when there is no need to do it ?

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Because at times if the installation do not create certificates you can migrate the old one.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

reshma_km
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi kaushik,

Could you please look into the issue below?

Qlik sense certificates