Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

We all can agree on the fact that not all the data contained in an app is equally important, right? The most important data should be highly visible and be located in a prime location within your app. Is always interesting to recheck Michael Anthony’s post about hierarchy.

KPIs are one of those elements that for sure will be at the very top of your app's first sheet, it's something you don’t want anyone to miss.

Since we don’t have a KPI object in QlikView’s objects library, all of us have came up with different solutions and tricks to represent a value and some contextual information next to it. All of them have one common aspect, they require several text objects to look good. This is usually ok, is not that hard to achieve a nice looking KPI using multiple text objects, but it can be really tedious to maintain.

The object below shows an example of a KPI representing net sales, it also contains other key contextual information such as comparison vs previous year and comparison vs target. The KPI also includes graphical indicators that will let us know if the measured indicator is performing good or bad based on our goals.

pic1.jpg

It looks really neat but in order to achieve something like that in QlikView you will need to create and maintain a good amount of text objects as you can see.

Today we introduce yet another alternative to text objects, it's a really smart, sexy looking, and easy-to-manage KPI object. And it’s all done using only one object! Let’s see how it’s done.

pic3.png

Each one of those three KPI objects are in fact a gauge chart heavily tweaked to look like a completely new KPI object. To do so you need to remove the gauge image in the gauge chart and add some text boxes as “Text in Chart”. Good news is, it all belongs to the same object now so you will be able to move it around without missing any part.

My very favorite piece of this method is the flexibility obtained by using variables to modify each one of the moving parts that form the object making it a piece of cake to maintain. Next, I’m including a diagram of the object so you can get a better understanding of it.

pic2.jpg

PROS:

• Simplified administration.
  • Global configuration options = unified look&feel.
  • Manageability, no more loose parts when moving/copying objects across sheets.
  • Minor tweaks to replicate across projects.

CONS:

• It might be a bit confusing for newbies due the intensive use of variables.

I’m attaching an app (qvw) so you can just copy and paste it to your new project and explore how it's done.

Enjoy it!

AMZ

PS: All kudos must go to Rasmus Andersson and Alexander Mosquera alexmosq at Mindcamp and Fredrik Thomsen and Peter Wedebrant @Qlik.

40 Comments
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Hi Erin,

Please check the very bottom of the post, you will find a QlikView app called KPI.qvw available to download, that should help you to understand it better and hopefully to reuse it in your own projects.

josefmyers267
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent! I just wish I'd know about this sooner!

0 Likes
francisco_marti
Contributor III
Contributor III

Excellent for me too!!!

Despite: PS: All kudos must go to Rasmus Andersson and Alexander Mosquera alexmosq at Mindcamp and Fredrik Thomsen and Peter Wedebrant @Anonymous.

Thank you very much!!! to gather all the knowledge in one simple blog.

Very useful and easy!

0 Likes
kjyon2consult
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hello Mr. Arturo and Qlik fellow,

I have use your attached QlikView QVW file to learn how you create it for me to apply in my situation. However, I found some two difficulties and have attached a Figure to show my problems. I hope you guys can assist me. I  share a link to the QVW file here (https://bit.ly/2lENzxZ) because I cannot find the option to upload a QVW file in the post here.
(Question or difficulty 1, See A in the attached Figure)
How did you set the location of the KPI metrics? To me, your Net Sales chart has three sections. The top part has vG.KPI1, whereas the bottom part has two sections with the vG.KPI1Diff on the left side and vG.KPI Diff vs target on the right side.
I understand that there is a way to set the metrics location in the TEXT IN CHART option of the Presentation tab where we can change the Alignment setting as shown in the red circle in the attached Figure. So, I have not found any way to set the metric location. For example, if I want to exchange the location between the vG.KPI1Diff and the vG.KPI Diff vs target.
In addition, when I randomly re-created the one of the texts such as VS TARGET and named it as VS TARGET2, the title appears in the Gauge chart as shown in the attached Figure under the label A, but why it appears in the top left corner?
(Question or difficulty 2, See B in the attached Figure)
How did you hide/remove the Gauge image completely until the new text can appear either on top of it or take over its location?
When I randomly re-created the vG.KPI1 metrics (Yes, it appears on the top left corner and I have no way to change its location as mentioned in the Question above), the appearance of the vG.KPI1 title seems to be masked or partially covered by invisible 'hidden' gauge or other text object.
So, I cannot display the vG.KPI1 title as a whole when i enlarge the title by changing the font size in the FONT option of the Chart Text's Window.

Please advise me by providing clear explanation of the solutions. Thank you.

Regards,
KevinA_B_gauge_text_chart.png

FranAgraz
Contributor
Contributor

0 Likes
kjyon2consult
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
@ FranAgraz, Can you elaborate on your solution? Thank you. Regards, Kevin
0 Likes
kamikhan
Contributor III
Contributor III

This file is not open..

0 Likes
kjyon2consult
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hello @kamikhan ,

Which file are you referring to? 

MaxGms
Contributor
Contributor

@kjyon2consult To move the text objects, click on your kpi object.

Keeping "ctrl" and "shift"  pushed, you can move and resize your text objects.

muhammadushaque
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi. Can I create to Qlik Sense ? I need to use but didn't find any extension like this. Kindly help me

Thanks,

Ushaque