Skip to main content
Announcements
NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. FIND OUT MORE
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

There have been some data load editor improvements that I think are worth mentioning so in this blog post I will cover some of the new features in the data load editor that I have found useful. The first, and my favorite new feature, is the table preview. The second is the ability to do a limited load and load a specified number of rows in each table. The third feature I will cover is the ability to view the script history, as well as the option to save, download and restore previous versions. Let’s look at each of these in more detail.

When building an app, my preference is to use the load data editor to load my data. With table preview, I can view loaded data tables at the bottom of the data load editor after data has been loaded or previewed in an app.

preview table.png

This is my favorite new feature because nine times out of ten, I want to view the data I loaded to ensure it loaded as expected and to check that my logic is correct. Having the preview table right there in the data load editor, saves me from having to go somewhere else, like the data model viewer or a sheet, to view the loaded data. I can use the preview table to check that they have the desired results. The ability to do this quick check saves me time.

As a developer, I can select the table to preview, and the data can be viewed as a table, as seen above, or as a list or grid as seen in the images below. When previewing the data as a table, the preview table can be expanded to show more rows, columns in the table can be widened and there is pagination that allows me to move around in the table. There is also an option to view the output of the load. This will show the same info you see in the load data window when the app is reloading.

List ViewList View

Grid ViewGrid View

The second feature in the data load editor I find useful is the preview data option. This provides an easy way for me to load some, but not all, of the data when reloading. In the screenshot below, the default of 100 rows is entered. This will load a max of 100 rows in each table. This value can be edited if desired. By default, the use store command is toggled off. When this is off, store commands in the script are ignored preventing potentially incomplete data from being exported. This feature is helpful when I want to just profile the data and see what the data looks like. It can also be helpful when there is a lot of data to be loaded and I do not need to load it all to check that the script is working as expected. Again, this is another time saver because I can limit the load thus the time it takes for the app to reload in a single step. I find this helpful when I want to quickly test a change in the script but do not want to wait for the entire app to reload.

preview data.png

The last data load feature I am going to cover is history for scripts. This new capability allows me to create versions of the script, name and rename scripts, restore the script from a previous version, download the load script or delete a version of the script.

history.png

I have not used the history feature much, but I can see it being helpful when I want to name various versions of the script. Every time the script is edited, it is saved to the current version. At any time, I can save that current version giving it a meaningful name. Maybe I want to make some changes to the script but want to have a backup in case it does not work. This can be done now right in the data load editor. I also have an easy way to restore a previous version, if necessary. Once a version is named, it can be renamed, restored, or deleted. All script versions can be downloaded as a QVS file. One thing to note is that the history only saves scripts created in the data loaded editor.

Hopefully, you find these new data load editor features helpful. They are available now in your tenant. Just check out the data load editor in your app.

Thanks,

Jennell

7 Comments
BeeGees
Contributor III
Contributor III

So history creates separate versions only on demand? I need to manually create one? So its basically manual snapshots/backups. That's close to useless. Maaaybe if it could be done programmatically I could use this in my backup processes.

What actually would be awesome if those versions would generate automatically after bunch of changes (lets say in session). Tracking each one individual change would be too much, but bunched in session-wide changes could be used both as version history (aka svn/git), auto-backup or documentation. But it can't be user dependent otherwise noone will click that.

Either way - load script changes are always welcome, glad to see improvement in that field!

0 Likes
DenisQ
Contributor
Contributor

Is it also planned to offer these Script Editor improvements for Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows (OnPrem)? And if so, is there already a target release or date?

Or
MVP
MVP

Be careful with Limited Load (which isn't new, it's been around in Debug mode for as long as I can remember dating back to QV) - fetching a small number of rows may result in not having any rows with matching keys in different tables and a broken data model. Many a developer has fallen into the trap of troubleshooting a data model that wasn't broken...

Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

@Or Yes, very good point.

0 Likes
Or
MVP
MVP

@Jennell_McIntire Yup. Now, if there was some way for it to pull matching rows with a toggle... but that's probably not feasible. Perhaps a suggestion for R&D.

0 Likes
jgoar
Contributor
Contributor

@Jennell_McIntire What version number do these updates show up in?

0 Likes
Jennell_McIntire
Employee
Employee

@jgoar This was made available in Qlik Cloud in May of this year.