Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
master_t
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Preventing Qlik CSS from "infecting" the rest of the website in a mashup

I'm developing a web application that includes a Qlik Sense mashup (using Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows).

I do not want to use the <iframe> approach because I want to make invocations to the Qlik Sense engine etc. so I need the "qlik" object from Require, and thus I am including the require script in my website's <head>:

/resources/assets/external/requirejs/require.js

However, here come the problem: as soon as the script starts loading, it start adding other scripts and CSS files to the web page. The problem with this is that those CSS stylesheets do not have any kind of "insulation" and  apply very destructive changes to the style of all elements of the page, for example as you can see they set the padding and margin of ALL elements to zero:

master_t_0-1722002565032.png

So all the other elements on my web app that have nothing to do with Qlik have their layout, fonts, etc. changed, creating a huge mess.

Is there a good way to prevent this?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
master_t
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I "solved" this by having the mashup section of my app in a sub-site that I then host in the main app as an iframe. Not a pretty solution, but it works and it's better than overriding hundreds of random CSS rules that come in unwanted.

In general, if I may be so bold, I think this is bad design on Qlik's part. The CSS that come in should have all rules class-prefixed so it doesn't apply to the rest of the app unless the developer wants to.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

Hey @master_t could you please describe what are you trying to do? You mentioned that you just need "qlik" object, what you are going to do with qlik object? Do you need to read only data from Qlik app or you are going to embed Qlik visualizations?
About CSS, there is no way to prevent this. You have to override what Qlik css will do using your own CSS properties.

master_t
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I am embedding Qlik visualizations, thus why I need the script and CSS.

alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

Ok, so no way of preventing this. Qlik CSS files are needed for render Qlik visualizations correctly.

master_t
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I "solved" this by having the mashup section of my app in a sub-site that I then host in the main app as an iframe. Not a pretty solution, but it works and it's better than overriding hundreds of random CSS rules that come in unwanted.

In general, if I may be so bold, I think this is bad design on Qlik's part. The CSS that come in should have all rules class-prefixed so it doesn't apply to the rest of the app unless the developer wants to.